The History of The Valiant Knight Arthur of Little Britain. A Romance of Chivalry
by Bourcher, John, Lord Berners
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Translated from the original French by Lord Berners (ca. 1467-1533), this is the third (or possibly the fourth) edition, and the first with illustrations. Previous editions are unobtainable; there are two recorded, one in 1555 or 1560, printed by Redbourne, and another in 1582 printed by East. Another edition is reported but not seen. This edition is edited by Edward Vernor Utterson, who has provided a 16 page preface from which the above information is taken.
Contemporary tan straight-grain morocco, spine in six compartments, gilt. Boards tooled with gilt rules and upper and lower boards tooled with gilt armorial central devices. All textblock edges gilt; board edges ruled in gilt. Endpapers of brown coated paper. Occasional light foxing, corners worn, but a very good copy.
This is the version with the contemporary colored illustrations. All illustrations are expertly colored in the manner of medieval miniatures. The coloring is clear, expert and glowing.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Thorn Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- The History of The Valiant Knight Arthur of Little Britain. A Romance of Chivalry
- Bourcher, John, Lord Berners
- Book condition
- Used - Hardcover
- Limited edition
- Printed for White, Cochrane, and Co
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Bookseller catalogs
- Rare Books; Arthurian;
Terms of Sale
All books returnable for any reason within seven days, providing only that they are received in the same condition as shipped. Shipments to an Arizona address must add appropriate sales tax. Libraries billed.
About the Seller
About Thorn Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also... [More]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the... [More]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [More]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a... [More]