THE HOLY BIBLE, CONTAINING THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS
by BIBLE IN ENGLISH. (BINDINGS - VICTORIAN)
- See description
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
VERY PRETTY NAVY BLUE CRUSHED MOROCCO, GILT, covers with gilt-rule border, intricate cornerpieces of small floral and botanical tools, raised bands, spine compartments very densely gilt with floral tools and stippling, gilt titling, turn-ins with gilt floral cornerpieces, millefleurs silk fabric endleaves, all edges gilt. Front flyleaf with ink ownership inscription of Anne Robinson, dated 1839; front flyleaves with ink annotations and Bible verses in three different 19th century hands, laid-in note giving the chain of ownership in Anne Robinson's family for the next century. Half a dozen leaves with small, light brown spot, margins trimmed a bit close (but no loss), but A VERY FINE COPY, clean and fresh internally, IN A SPARKLING BINDING.
This charmingly bound little volume was the perfect book of Scripture for a Victorian lady, and was cherished by generations of her family. The very feminine floral binding suggests that it was bound as a gift for Anne Robinson, who used it (very gently) for her personal devotions--and no doubt as an attractive accessory to her Sunday church ensemble. The annotation of favorite passages offers insight into the owner's spiritual life, and the inlaid handwritten "chain of title" is testament to our volume's status as family heirloom. Robinson and her successors clearly treasured it, as it is little changed from the day it left the bindery. The condition is notably splendid here..
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Phillip J. Pirages Fine Books and Medieval Manuscripts (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- THE HOLY BIBLE, CONTAINING THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS
- BIBLE IN ENGLISH. (BINDINGS - VICTORIAN)
- Book condition
- Printed at the University Press by Samuel Collingwood and Co
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
Terms of Sale
Phillip J. Pirages Fine Books and Medieval Manuscripts
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
- Does the default shipping charge seem high? If so, please contact us by email at email@example.com for a shipping charge tailored to your order and location. You may also call us at (800) 962-6666 in the US or (503) 472-0476 outside the US, Monday through Friday between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm US Pacific time or leave us a message.
- For all orders outside the US and Canada, please contact us for shipping charges before completing your order.
- If you complete your order before you receive a shipping quote, we will need to contact you to get additional funding to cover the cost of shipping before we can ship your items.
- Except in the cases of items priced at $100 or less (for which we charge a small handling fee), we wish only to pass along actual carrier charges to our customers. The constraints of this website force us to assume that each purchase is both heavier and further away than average, so we would be pleased to adjust the charges to reflect actual weights and locations.
About the Seller
About Phillip J. Pirages Fine Books and Medieval Manuscripts
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [More]
- The book is pristine and free of any defects, in the same condition as ... [More]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the... [More]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also... [More]
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created in the... [More]
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet... [More]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a... [More]
- "Laid In" indicates that there is something which is included with, but not attached to the book, such as a sheet of paper. The... [More]