HORRIBLE SUCESO : FRAGUADO POR EL DEMONIO Y DESTRUIDO POR EL ADMIRABLE Y PORTENTOSO MILAGRO DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE GUADALUPE, ENTRE LOS ESPOSOS MARIA JULIANA DELGADO Y PEDRO GARCÍA
by [Posada, José Guadalupe]
- near fine
- Near fine
Brooklyn, New York
Standard Delivery: 7 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
News halfsheet illustrated by José Guadalupe Posada (1852-1913), the immortal Mexican printmaker, at the press of celebrated Mexico City publisher Antonio Vanegas Arroyo (1850-1917). Guadalupe's wood engraving depicts the "horrible event" of the prior September at Ocotlán, in which the Virgin of Guadalupe came to the aid of a virtuous, long-battered woman whose husband had secretly sold her to a demon six years earlier, and whom the demon had now come to collect at a mountain monastery. Hearing her weeping and prayers, the Virgin assumed the woman's identity while she slept and presented herself to the demon, who, when he realized he had been tricked, let out a frightful roar. A striking piece, rare, and in excellent condition despite the extreme fragility of its paper.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- W. C. Baker Rare Books & Ephemera (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- HORRIBLE SUCESO : FRAGUADO POR EL DEMONIO Y DESTRUIDO POR EL ADMIRABLE Y PORTENTOSO MILAGRO DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE GUADALUPE, ENTRE LOS ESPOSOS MARIA JULIANA DELGADO Y PEDRO GARCÍA
- [Posada, José Guadalupe]
- José Guadalupe Posada
- Book condition
- Used - Near fine
- Quantity available
- First Edition
- Antonio Vanegas Arroyo
- Place of Publication
- Mexico City
- Date published
- [ca. 1900]
- Mexico, religion, Christianity, Catholicism, miracle, demons, crime, illustrated, ephemera, news, halfsheet, broadside
- Bookseller catalogs
- Religion; Folklore;
Terms of Sale
W. C. Baker Rare Books & Ephemera
7 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 7 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. Items must be returned in the same condition in which they were received.
About the Seller
About W. C. Baker Rare Books & Ephemera
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- The page on the right side of a book, with the term Verso used to describe the page on the left side.
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.