AN IDEAL HUSBAND.
by WILDE. OSCAR
- See description
London, United Kingdom
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Original light purple cloth with gilt lettering to the spine and decorative designs by Charles Shannon in gilt to both boards and spine. All edges untrimmed. A small amount of light offsetting to the blank endpapers. Some mottling to the spine and a little bubbling to the cloth on the front board but overall a very good copy.
One of 1000 copies, published July 1899. -- Mason 385.
From the book:The room is brilliantly lighted and full of guests. At the top of the staircase stands LADY CHILTERN, a woman of grave Greek beauty, about twenty-seven years of age. She receives the guests as they come up. Over the well of the staircase hangs a great chandelier with wax lights, which illumine a large eighteenth-century French tapestry - representing the Triumph of Love, from a design by Boucher- that is stretched on the staircase wall. On the right is the entrance to the music-room. The sound of a string quartette is faintly heard. The entrance on the left leads to other reception-rooms. MRS. MARCHMONT and LADY BASIL-DON, two very pretty women, are seated together on a Louis Seize sofa. They are types of exquisite fragility. Their affectation of manner has a delicate charm. Watteau would have loved to paint them.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
Terms of Sale
Paul Foster Books
All books fully guaranteed. Any book found not ot be as described may be returned for a full refund within seven days of receipt. Please notify before returning any books. All items remain the property of Paul Foster Books until paid for in full. Payment by instalment acceptable for high value items. Please ask. ----- Full Member of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association, I.L.A.B, and PBFA
About the Seller
About Paul Foster Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a... [More]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [More]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched... [More]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [More]