Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Veering from the first person narrative perspective of his previous novels, "The Time Machine" and "The Island of Dr. Moreau", Wells adopts a third-person objective point of view The novel is considered influential for its time, and helped establish Wells as the "father of science fiction". One of the main inspirations for Wells when writing The Invisible Man was Plato's Republic, which impacted him significantly when he read it as an adolescent. The legend of the "Ring of Gyges", which appears in the second book of the Republic, posits that, if a man were made invisible and could act with impunity, he would "go about among men with the powers of a god."
Extended Description and Notes
"If a man were made invisible and could act with impunity, he would "go about among men with the powers of a god." Plato's "Republic"
Invisible Man is a novel written by HG Wells, first published as a serial in Pearson's Weekly in 1897 before being published as a book by C. Arthur Pearson in 1897. The story follows the scientist Griffith, who through experimentation has become the Invisible Man of the title. Griffith's initial, almost comedic, adventures are soon overshadowed by the bizarre streak of terror he unleashes upon the inhabitants of a small village, and the novel is noted for its horror, suspense and psychological nuance.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Mobius Rare Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The Invisible Man
- H.G. Wells
- Publisher's red cloth gilt, modern morocco rebacking and recorning (endpapers renewed)
- Book condition
- Used - Half Bound Very Good +
- Jacket condition
- Quantity available
- First Edtion/First Printing
- C. Arthur Pearson Limited
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Horror, Science Fiction, Novel, British
Terms of Sale
Mobius Rare Books
I strive for utmost accuracy in descriptions, and generally am quite conservative in grading condition. Item description/condition apply to both the physical book and dust jacket and will always include: Edition (1st Edition implies first printing/state unless otherwise stated), author, title, publisher, place & date of publication, and any additional information needed to identify issue, state, or details pertinent to estimated value.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About Mobius Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet...[more]
- half bound
- aka Half Binding, this indicates a book bound at the spine and corners with one material and the rest in another material. ...[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
This Book’s Categories
- Bindings & Editions Modern First Editions
- Fiction & Literature Classic Literature
- Fiction & Literature Mystery & Thrillers Mystery
- Fiction & Literature Science Fiction & Fantasy Science Fiction
- Fiction & Literature Science Fiction & Fantasy Fantasy
- Children & Juvenile Juvenile & Young Adult Juvenile Fiction & Literature