JAMES LEES-MILNE: The Life.
by BLOCH**, MICHAEL:
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
PLYMOUTH., Devon, United Kingdom
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
JAMES LEES-MILNE (1908-97) - known to his friends as Jim - is remembered for his work for the National Trust,rescuing some of England's greatest architectural treasures,and for the vivid and entertaining diaries which have earned him a reputation as 'the twentieth-century Pepys'. In this long awaited biography,Michael Bloch portrays a life rich in contradictions,in which an unassuming youth overtook more dazzling contemporaries to emerge as a leading figure in the fields of conservation and letters.
It describes Jim's bisexual love life,his tempestuous marriage to the exotic Alvide,and his friendship with other fascinating literary figures including John Betjeman,Robert Byron,Rosamond Lehmann,and the Mitford sisters (whose brother Tom had been Jim's great love at Eton.) It depicts a man who was romantically attached to the England of his childhood and felt out of tune with his own times,but who left an enduring legacy through the preservation of country houses and his eloquent chronicling of a dying world. Please contact seller,for correct shipping/P+p quotes - particularly ALL overseas customers - BEFORE ordering through the order page!
** N.B. ALL buyers please note,stocks' actual shipping/P+p costs are adjusted and any difference is refunded,after order's receipt and before the order's despatch,especially if the item(s) are offered either P+p included/FREE. ** This item offered P+p included.Offer available UK only,unless indicated otherwise. **
** N.B. US/Canada customers please be aware: Standard AIRMAIL postage from UK to these destinations can now cost more than the price of the book! If speed is not of the essence,then Economy rate is recommended - at approx. anything from a 1/3rd to 1/2 of the standard AIR quote/rate - sometimes arriving sooner than the 42 days - but not always.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- R. J. A. PAXTON-DENNY. (GB)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- JAMES LEES-MILNE: The Life.
- BLOCH**, MICHAEL:
- illua with contemporary b/w autobiographical,other biographical photographs.
- Book condition
- Used - FINE+.
- Jacket condition
- UK,8vo HB+protected dw/dj,1st edn,3rd imp.
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
- LONDON.JOHN MURRAY (PUBLISHERS),2009.
- Place of Publication
- This edition first published
- q52.BIOGRAPHY.UK,8vo HB+protected dw/dj,1st edn,3rd imp.ISBN 9780719560347.Lees-Milne, ames_National Trust (GB)_Art historian_biography.GB_Architectural historian_biography_Diarist. John Betjeman,Robert Byron,Rosamond Lehmann,and the Mitford sisters.Tom M
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
R. J. A. PAXTON-DENNY.
NO books will be sent 'ON APPROVAL' unless paid for in full and invoiced accordingly and with appropiate Registered/Recorded/Insurance,where applicable.If returned/declined monies refundable (P+p and any processing fees excluded). Other returns/refunds, only if book(s) are misdescribed,and then a) matches the invoice sent with it, b) returned in original packaging and state/condition sent out in,and received by buyer, c) and returned at the seller's original and actual shipping/P+p cost used when despatched to buyer - any excess cost borne at returnee's own expense. Notification of intent of return, required within 2 days of receipt of book please. 30 day return guarantee, for refund, (excluding P+p costs and any processing fees), for up to 30 days after delivery, only if an item arrives either misdescribed or damaged.Other returns accepted at seller's discretion. Orders processed same day,subject to time of receipt of order and payment, by end of P.O's business day, where applicable, and despatched the same day (weekends excluded). Shipping/P+p costs are based on books weighing 2.2Lb,or 1KG and UNINSURED, unless quoted otherwise. If your book order (P+p cost included/excluded) is in excess of 20.00 GBP,heavy or oversized, as per instruction, we'll contact you to let you know if extra shipping/insurance is required.Prices are nett, worldwide shipping/handling and registration/ insurance fees are extra.Books/orders in excess of 20.00 GBP will only be sent with appropriate insurance fees. So,for actual insured/registered shipping costs, prior contact with the seller, BEFORE ordering, is required at: email@example.com. All orders are wrapped in sellophane, then either bubble-wrapped or corrugated-card and then boxed.[US+CANADA only.] Items/orders over 20.00 GBP are automatically sent registered/insured either via PARCEL FORCE [insured].Or, International SIGNED For [insured] AIRMAIL,minimum of 6.50 GBP,in addition to P+p and subject to book('s) weight.Books WILL NOT be sent without appropiate Registered/Recorded/Insurance,where applicable.We use the Royal Mail for inland (UK)and most overseas deliveries.For most other International destinations,for orders/books in excess of 20.00 GBP,we use Royal Mail International Registered/SIGNED For minimum of 6.50 GBP (100gm),in addition to postage and subject to book('s) weight.UK addresses, orders/ books in excess of 20.00 GBP, sent Next Day Guaranteed Delivery [Minimum Insured up to 250 GBP automatically - at no fee,extra insurance can be bought upto 1,000 GBP and Maximum 2,500 GBP - enquire for costs.], minimum of 5.90 GBP per order, again subject to weight. Cheques payable to R J A PAXTON-DENNY at business address.Ir requiring to pay by paypal contact seller for paypal account email.
About the Seller
About R. J. A. PAXTON-DENNY.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- Book(s) which are sold at a very deep discount to alleviate publisher overstock. Often, though not always, they have a remainder...
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...
- The portion of a book cover or cover jacket that folds into the book from front to back. The flap can contain biographical...
- Number Line
- A series of numbers appearing on the copyright page of a book, where the lowest number generally indicates the printing of that...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.