Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography
by Timothy David Harding (1848- )
- Better than Very Good
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
vi+582 pages with photographs, diagrams, tables, charts, illustrations, appendices, bibliography and indices. Quarto (11 1/4" x 8 3/4") bound in original publisher's red cloth with white lettering to spine and cover. Second printing.
During a career spanning more than 50 years, J.H. Blackburne (1841-1924) won the British Chess Championship and several international tournaments, at his peak becoming one of the world's top three chess masters. A professional player who derived his livelihood from annual tours of chess clubs in England and other countries, entertaining and teaching amateur players, he astonished his contemporaries by the ease with which he played the game without sight of the chessboard. At 21, he set a world record for such exhibitions, competing against 12 club players simultaneously, and he continued to perform "blindfold" into his sixties. This first comprehensive biography of Britain's greatest chess player of the 19th and early 20th centuries presents more than 1,000 of Blackburne's games chronologically, including all his surviving games from serious competition, annotated in varying detail. Many are masterpieces containing beautiful combinations and instructive endgame play. Blackburne's unusual family and social background are fully explored.
Condition: Corners gently bumped else better than very good.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- The Book Collector ABAA, ILAB, TBA (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography
- Timothy David Harding (1848- )
- Book Condition
- Used - Better than Very Good
- Quantity Available
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
- McFarland Publishing
- Place of Publication
- Jefferson, NC
- Date Published
- vi+582 pages with photographs, diagrams, tables, charts, illustrations, appendices, bibliography and indices
- Chess, Ajedrez, Schach, Echecs
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
The Book Collector ABAA, ILAB, TBA
About the Seller
About The Book Collector ABAA, ILAB, TBA
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- The term quarto is used to describe a page or book size. A printed sheet is made with four pages of text on each side, and the...