The Jungle Book [And] The Second Jungle Book [Two Volumes, First Printings]
by Kipling, Rudyard
- very good
- Very Good/No Jacket
Pasadena, California, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
RUDYARD KIPLING was born in Bombay in India in 1865 to British parents, and brought by a Portuguese 'ayah' (nanny) and an Indian servant, who would entertain him with fabulous stories and Indian nursery rhymes. He was sent back to England when he was seven years old, and lived in a boarding house with a couple who were cruelly strict. Fortunately he returned to India aged 16, to work as the assistant editor of a newspaper in Lahore. He began publishing stories and poems and eventually had great success with his book Plain Tales from the Hills . After his marriage Kipling settled in America, and it was here that he wrote The Jungle Book . He then moved with his family to England, where he wrote Just So Stories for his daughter Josephine who tragically died of pneumonia. Rudyard Kipling was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1907 and died on January 18, 1936.
I once owned this particular copy of The Jungle Book, and been searching for it for years. The illustrations and type face make this a gem to have in your personal library. Thanks to Biblio, I believe my search is over!
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Arroyo Seco Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- The Jungle Book [And] The Second Jungle Book [Two Volumes, First Printings]
- Kipling, Rudyard
- Plates By J Lockwood Kipling, W H Drake, P. Frenzeny
- Blue Cloth, Gilt
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Jacket Condition
- No Jacket
- Quantity Available
- First Editions 1st Printing
- Macmillan and Co
- Place of Publication
- London [1894, 1895]
- Date Published
- Bookseller catalogs
- Childrens Books 1851 -1900; Rare And Unusual Books; Literature: Nineteenth Century;
- May be a multi-volume set and require additional postage.
Terms of Sale
Arroyo Seco Books
Payment by credit card, check, PayPal or, for orders over $1000, by bank transfer. US Shipping by USPS media mail, at standard rate shown, but large or heavy items may require additional postage. Shipments valued over $200 may be sent with insurance, and/or with signature confirmation required. International shipments sent only by insured USPS mail (Priority Mail or Priority Express Mail or Express Guaranteed). Shipments to the UK may require additional shipping charges to provide insurance as they lack a nationally insured postal system. Sales within California and many other states are subject to sales tax. International shipments may be subject to Customs duties or fees and/or VAT which are the responsibility of the buyer. Postage will not be refunded for unaccepted packages; please review your order for correct addressing.
About the Seller
About Arroyo Seco Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- The portion of the book closest to the spine that allows the book to be opened and closed.
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
Join the Bibliophiles’ Club and start saving 10% on every book.
$29.95 / Year