Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Toronto: McClelland and Stewart, 1978. First edition, signed and inscribed by Mellen and eight artists whose work is represented here (260, biblio, index), 129 colour plates, many full-page (others shared, 2 or 3 images each). Long folio (28 cm.) in black and gold pictorial dust jacket, maroon cloth, gilt titles to spine. An historical survey beginning with the art of the Native Peoples and carrying on through periods of European exploration, the garrison and frontier, Victorian times, the Group of Seven, and contemporary art. Each of the plates is accompanied by a short, informative account of the artist in his or her milieu and how the art works. Short mended tear to front cover of dust jacket, top and bottom spine nibbled; otherwise a clean bright copy.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
Terms of Sale
Trillium Antiquarian Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since: 2011
Ask Seller a Question
About Trillium Antiquarian Books
Welcome toTrillium Antiquarian Bookswhere you can search or browse our collections of antiquarian books onCountry LifeandNatural History-- scarce books, from A to Z, on angling, animals, apiculture, bees, birds, botany, Darwin, farming, fish, flora, fruit growing, gardens, geography, grapes, herbals, horticulture, landscapes, mammals, orchards, ornithology, seeds, vegetables, wildflowers, zoology... and likely several other matters which do not come readily to mind.Search and browse, too, our antiquarianCanadianaandLiteraturecollections. In ourCanadianacollection you will find the early works of Moodie, Traill, Davies, Bouchette, and others from Upper and Lower Canada. Our antiquarianLiteraturecollection makes room among its novels, sermons, and poetry for some rare works by Mark Twain and Stephen Crane.Sometimes all that's left of an old book is the pictures. You will find antiquarian printsand maps togetherwith entireillustrated books, in Trillium's collection ofImagesfrom antiquarian sources.If you spend any time hunting up books, you are bound to come upon an occasional book so odd or idiosyncratic as to be irresistible. Proof of the proposition is to be found in theTrilliumcollection of intriguingCuriosities. Since their comings and goings are unpredictable, it's usually worth stopping in for a short browse.Trillium Antiquarian Bookshas been selling scarce, out-of-print books on the Internet since 1998 and, earlier, by traditional mail order. Look for us at book fairs in Ontario and the American northeast, where we have exhibited during the past ten years or so. We are always interested in buying antiquarian books in our areas of interest, whether single volumes or complete collections.Trillium Antiquarian Booksis owned by William Van Nest, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.Trillium Grandiflorum, from which we take our name, is the provincial flower of Ontario and appears in snowy white drifts among the hardwoods each Spring. One of several trilliums resident in the back garden furnished the images on our web site (www.trilliumbooks.ca).
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- When a book is described as being inscribed, it indicates that a short note written by the author or a previous owner has...[more]
- A folio usually indicates a large book size of 15" in height or larger when used in the context of a book description....[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...[more]
- The Greek root for a variety of words referring to the book, such as bibliography, bibliomania, etc. Also, one of the world's...[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]