The Life of Ezra Stiles 1798
by Abiel Holmes
Humboldt, Tennessee, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Rare 1798. leather. 10.5"" X 13"". The Life of Ezra Stiles 1798 Ezra Stiles President Yale College or The Life of President Stiles by Abiel Holmes Original Edition First Edition RARE! Publisher-Printing Location: Thomas Andrews, Faust's Statue #45 NewBury Street, Boston Date:1798 Size and Page Count: 4.75 X 8 Tall, 404 Pages Condition:-Fair- full Calf's leather in fair shape with parts of spine cover missing, cracks in leather on boards, hinge repair, inside hinges cracked, missing first title page, some pencil marks, foxing and yellowing on pages, text block tight, Ezra Stiles portrait intact,
Includes 4 page preface, 25 pages appendix and 1 page Index. Klucel G preservation of leather.
Book History: previous owners writing on end pages including Sarah P Mitchell , Portsmouth Public Library ink stamp on inside of front board and stamp sold please do not return ------- An excellent opportunity for the collector, researcher or historian ---------
Ezra Stiles (November 29, 1727 – May 12, 1795) was an American academic and educator, a Congregationalist minister, theologian and author. He was president of Yale College (1778–1795) As president of Yale, Stiles also became its first professor of Semitics, and required all students to study Hebrew (as was also the case at Harvard); his first commencement address in September, 1781 (no ceremonies having been held during the American Revolutionary War) was delivered in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Arabic.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- The Franklin Bookstore (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- The Life of Ezra Stiles 1798
- Abiel Holmes
- Book Condition
- Used - Fair
- Quantity Available
- Date Published
- 10.5"" X 13""
- Bookseller catalogs
- Biography & Autobiography; History;
Terms of Sale
The Franklin Bookstore
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About The Franklin Bookstore
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- Text Block
- Most simply the inside pages of a book. More precisely, the block of paper formed by the cut and stacked pages of a book....
- is a worn book that has complete text pages (including those with maps or plates) but may lack endpapers, half-title, etc....
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined by AB...
- The portion of the book closest to the spine that allows the book to be opened and closed.
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...
- In reference to a hinge or a book's binding, means that the glue which holds the opposing leaves has allowed them to separate,...