The Life of Ian Fleming (First Edition)
by John Pearson
- See description
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
A firsthand biography of Ian Fleming's life and work, written by close friend John Pearson.
Near Fine in a Near Fine, price-clipped dust jacket. Small stamp on the front endpaper. Jacket has a few tiny nicks on the spine ends and corners.
Privilege and nepotism appear to have gotten Fleming through life.
His Bond character was who he wanted to, but couldn't, be.
This work recounts many of the events Fleming later modified and embellished in the world of James Bond.
Flemings important, yet safe, role with British Naval Intelligence, gained in part through social connection, is well covered.
The writer is worth looking up for evidence of the nepotism I mentioned at the outset of this review.
On the one hand, this is a ripping yarn about how a daydreaming child managed to gain independent wealth through writing about who he wanted to be, drawing upon much of his own aloof personality and fantasies in combination with detail gleaned from eloquent observation of things he really had experienced.
On the other, this is testimony to the influence of the old boys network.
It's an interesting read.
I'd suggest a different title, perhaps Ian Fleming, A life of Privilege.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Royal Books, Inc. (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- The Life of Ian Fleming (First Edition)
- John Pearson
- Book Condition
- Quantity Available
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date Published
- Books about Books | James Bond | Nonfiction | Biography
- Bookseller catalogs
- Biography; Books about Books; James Bond; Nonfiction;
Terms of Sale
Royal Books, Inc.
If you have questions about a book, feel free to call us anytime at 410-366-7329. Mailing address: Royal Books / 32 West 25th Street / Baltimore, MD / 21218. We accept VISA/MC/AMEX/DISCOVER, check or money order, and PayPal (ID is firstname.lastname@example.org).All books noted as First Editions are also First Printings unless indicated otherwise. All books are guaranteed to be as described, and may be returned at any time for any reason for a full refund, including return postage. Libraries, institutions, and accredited dealers can be sent books with invoice.
About the Seller
About Royal Books, Inc.
We are an open shop located in the midtown section of Baltimore. Check our website for directions if you are coming through the Baltimore area. We are open 10AM-6PM EST, Monday through Friday. You may email an order at any time, 24 hours a day.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- Errata: aka Errata Slip A piece of paper either laid in to the book correcting errors found in the printed text after being...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...