Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London: Printed by William Lane for William Miller, 1802. First edition, in two volumes (pp. vi, 379; iv, 357). Octavo (20 cm) in contemporary full calf, gilt decoration and titles, speckled edges, marbled epps. ‘An entertaining periodical’, a weekly, whose first number appeared 26 September 1799 and whose sixtieth, and final number 18 December 1800 (Lowndes, Bibliographer’s Manual). The complete sixty numbers collected here comprise a mixture of literary essays and short fiction with a scattering of verse meant for the drawing room or shady summer garden. The reviewer in The Monthly Magazine (Vol. XIV, 1803) rides a metaphor about as far as one will go, saying, ‘Mr. Saunter has set before his guests a great variety of dishes, sweet, savoury, and simple: many of them are extremely well cooked, and served up with considerable taste: besides these... Mr. Saunter has accommodated some old English appetites, with a few solid joints of great excellence- plain, roast, and boiled.’ Titles faded and worn, tips worn, spines skilfully repaired, bookplates crudely removed; text is clean and bright throughout. Quite an attractive two volumes, especially if you apply your own bookplates. Scarce not quite to the point of rarity.
- Trillium Antiquarian Books (CA)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Literary Leisure, or the Recreations of Solomon Saunter, Esq.
- Anon [Solomon Saunter]
- Book condition
- Used - Very Good
- Quantity available
Terms of Sale
Trillium Antiquarian Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About Trillium Antiquarian Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- The double leaves bound into a book at the front and rear after ...[more]