LORD JIM: A Tale Stated First Modern Library Edition 1931 IN Green & White Early VINTAGE DJ with SIDE PROFILE FACE OF Man in Safari Hat smoking Pipe, Theme of a heroic man
by Joseph Conrad,[1857 - 1924].Introduction by J. Donald Adams, 95 CENTS ON INNER DJ FLAP, orange Kent endpapers Sticker & former Owner name, Inner Hinges Starting slight Cracked
- Good/Very Good
LONG BEACH, California
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
MODERN LIBRARY, NY #186 Btm DJ Spine, 1931. HBDJ , Stated First Modern Library Edition 1931.. First printing., Bk GOOD condition slight wear LEAN / DJ is VG. Back & VERSO Of EARLY VINTAGE DJ lists 225 Titles & Prezipcode Coupon, Maroon balloon cloth over flexible boards, gilt titles on spine rubbed , Gold gilt device on front cover running Man Bright,, Fall 1934 list on verso of dust jacket, ix, 417 pp. Corners of a few leaves bumped, slight wear to tail of spine. DJ spine sunned spine DJ Fade & tint end chips, corners trimmed, marks in ink on front panel, slight edge wear; in Brodart archival cover. 417 pgs, NO ADS In Back, Maroon topstain little wear, few stained pgs , Theme of a heroic man victimized by his own integrity and destroyed by his sense of lost honor. Against a vivid backdrop of the sea and the East Indies, Conrad tells a penetrating story of a young man's struggle to overcome the evil he sees in himself. The theme of Lord Jim is the excruciating restoration of a man's honor and pride.. 1st Edition. Hardcover. Good/Very Good.
Joseph Conrad’s Lord Jim follows the events that determine the fate of Jim, a young British seaman. Jim becomes first mate on the Patna, a ship full of pilgrims travelling to Mecca for the hajj. When the ship begins taking in water and disaster is sure to follow, Jim joins his captain and other crewmembers in abandoning the ship and its passengers. The crew is saved by a French ship a few days later and soon learns that the Patna and its passengers were also rescued. The crew’s reprehensible actions are exposed. As a trial ensues, Jim must come to terms with his past. Enter Marlow, sea captain and narrator of Lord Jim as well as three of Conrad’s other works (Heart of Darkness, Youth, and Chance). In spite of Jim’s moral unsoundness, Marlow befriends him during the trial and learns the full story of the Patna, which he relates to the reader. The primary event of Lord Jim may have been based in part on an actual abandonment of a ship. On July 17, 1880, S.S. Jeddah sailed for Penang and Jeddah from Singapore with 778 men, 147 women, and 67 children on board. When the vessel began to leak, the crew abandoned the passengers, who were also travelling to Mecca for the hajj. On August 8, 1880, a French steamship found Jeddah, rescuing all of the pilgrims. An official inquiry followed, as it does in the novel. Lord Jim is ranked 85th on Modern Library’s “100 Best” English-language novels of the 20th century. The novel has been adapted for film twice: Lord Jim (1925), directed by Victor Fleming, and Lord Jim (1965), directed by Richard Brooks and starring Peter O'Toole.
Read More: Identifying first editions of LORD JIM: A Tale Stated First Modern Library Edition 1931 IN Green & White Early VINTAGE DJ with SIDE PROFILE FACE OF Man in Safari Hat smoking Pipe, Theme of a heroic man
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log-in or Create an Account first!)
- BLUFF PARK RARE BOOKS (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- LORD JIM: A Tale Stated First Modern Library Edition 1931 IN Green & White Early VINTAGE DJ with SIDE PROFILE FACE OF Man in Safari Hat smoking Pipe, Theme of a heroic man
- Joseph Conrad,[1857 - 1924].Introduction by J. Donald Adams, 95 CENTS ON INNER DJ FLAP, orange Kent endpapers Sticker & former Owner name, Inner Hinges Starting slight Cracked
- Book condition
- Used - Good
- Jacket condition
- Very Good
- Quantity available
- 1st Edition
- MODERN LIBRARY, NY #186 Btm DJ Spine
- Date Published
- MODERN LIBRARY Joseph Conrad
Terms of Sale
BLUFF PARK RARE BOOKS
$5.85 Media Mail USPS or Priority Mail INS. $10.05, CALIF. RESIDENTS ADD 9.00% SALES TAX, Returnable if NOT AS Quoted , after calling Bookstore within 7 Days for Return Number ! 562-438-9830 Please note we support shipments ONLY to the following countries: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, All Of Europe, Italy, Japan, , Netherlands, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Norway, Portugal, Scotland, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States (including U.S. protectorates).
About the Seller
About BLUFF PARK RARE BOOKS
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Damage done to a book cover or dust jacket caused by exposure to direct sunlight. Very strong fluorescent light can cause... [More]
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet... [More]
- Generally used to refer to a clear plastic cover that is sometimes added to the dustjacket or outside covering of a book. The... [More]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]
- Very Good condition can describe a used book that does show some small signs of wear - but no tears - on either binding or... [More]
- The heel of the spine.
- Especially for older books, a printer's device refers to an identifying mark, also sometimes called a printer's mark, on the... [More]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched... [More]
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [More]
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps... [More]