Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London: Robert Hale, 1957. 1st Edition 2nd Printing. Hardcover. Good/Good. First edition second printing hardback in Good condition. Red cloth boards are slightly bumped, to the corners, clean apart from a 1cm piece of the jacket which has stuck to the toe of the spine, 303 pages, edge of the text block lightly spotted/foxed, inscription in blue ink to fep, bookseller's small stamp to front paste down, a previous owner has inscribed the title page in red ink with the words 'Catherine de Medici' below the title and 'first book' below the author's name, and has ringed the first published date and reprint date to the copyright page in red ink, leading to this copy being downgraded from very good to good. Unclipped jacket is Good, chipped with areas of loss to the head and toe of the spine, corners and edges scuffed, minor chips to the upper edge at the rear, creasing to the cover which has rubbed to the edges, minor surface marking including some green ink lines to the rear fly, reinforced with tape to the upper and lower edges which has yellowed, , now protected in a removable clear plastic sleeve. Despite these faults this is much better than a reading copy, as the binding is tight and the contents otherwise clean. Price includes standard postage worldwide.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- UP THE HILL BOOKS (IE)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Madame Serpent
- Plaidy, Jean
- Book condition
- Used - Good
- Jacket condition
- Quantity available
- 1st Edition 2nd Printing
- Robert Hale
- Place of Publication
- Date published
Terms of Sale
UP THE HILL BOOKS
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since: 2016
Ask Seller a Question
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Copyright page
- The page in a book that describes the lineage of that book, typically including the book's author, publisher, date of...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- Any printing of a book which follows the original edition. By definition, a reprint is not a first edition.
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- reading copy
- Indicates a book that is perfectly serviceable for reading. It may have a defect or damage. As such, reading copy is not...[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- When a book is described as being inscribed, it indicates that a short note written by the author or a previous owner has...[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- text block
- Most simply the inside pages of a book. More precisely, the block of paper formed by the cut and stacked pages of a...[more]
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]