Memoirs of an American Lady: with Sketches of Manners and Scenery in America,: as They Existed Previous to the Revolution by Mrs. Grant, Author of “Letters from the Mountains,” &c, &c.
by Grant, Anne MacVicar
- See description
New York, New York
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Anne MacVicar Grant. Memoirs of an American Lady: with Sketches of Manners and Scenery in America, as They Existed Previous to the Revolution by Mrs. Grant, Author of "Letters from the Mountains," &c, &c. New York: Printed for Samuel Campbell, by G. and D. Bruce, 1809. 18 cm, 12mo; p. 223 mis-numbered as 226. [viii; 344 pages] Sabin, 28296; Howes, G303; Shaw & Shoemaker, 17663. Bound in full brown tree calf, spine ruled in gold with red leather label, cover edges gilded.A remarkable account of pre-Revolutionary War America, specifically upper New York, with detailed accounts of the customs, natural history, and social events at Albany, New York, as well as detailed accounts of encounters with the indigenous people. An account of the Five Nations, the Mohawk Indians, is given, as well as an account of the building of the fort at Albany. Description of the means used to subdue the independence on the Indians, the attraction of some colonists to the Indian way of life, and the management of the Mohawks by using the Christianized Indians are given dedicated chapters. There is also a sketch of the settlement of Pennsylvania.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- G.Gosen Rare Books & Old Paper, ABAA, ILAB (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Memoirs of an American Lady: with Sketches of Manners and Scenery in America,
- Grant, Anne MacVicar
- Bound in full brown tree calf.
- Book condition
- Printed for Samuel Campbell, by G. and D. Bruce
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date Published
- Americana, Indians, Mohawk, Albany, New York, Colonial New York
- 18 cm, 12mo
Terms of Sale
G.Gosen Rare Books & Old Paper, ABAA, ILAB
We ship to the buyer at a verified address. It is important for our customers to understand that we ship to the buyer at this verified address. All material is guaranteed as described and given a life-time guarantee of authenticity. All material is returnable within ten calendar days with advance written notification from the buyer stating the reason for the return. Returned material must be returned in exactly the same condition and secure internal wrapping in which it was shipped for a full refund to be made. Customers are expected to pay for shipping at the time of purchase according to weight, desired speed of delivery and for the insured value of the shipment. Some large, heavy books or sets of books, will require additional shipping. It is recommended that customers request shipments be sent to themselves in their own names by the most secure means to their verified addresses to assure speedy and secure insured delivery. For some customers outside the United States, special arrangements may be necessary to assure safe and secure delivery. We accept checks drawn on United States banks in dollars, as well as payments through PayPal. Sales to residents of New York State and New York City are subject to state and local taxes. All books and/or items remain the property of G. Gosen Rare Books & Old Paper until payment in full has been received. All material is subject to prior sale.
About the Seller
About G.Gosen Rare Books & Old Paper, ABAA, ILAB
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined by AB... [More]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a... [More]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects, "new"... [More]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat the... [More]