Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
1700 Japanese Illustrated Woodblock Zenkoji Temple Buddhism Lotus Sutra JAPAN
A rare, 18th century set of woodblock prints by Tachiban Morikuni (1679-1748) of Zenkoji Temple bound in the "fukurotoji (variously translated as "bound-pocket," or "pouch" binding)" style (Keio). Zenkoji Temple (善光寺, Zenkōji) is one of the most important and popular temples in Japan. It was founded in the 7th century and stores the first Buddhist statue ever to be brought into Japan when Buddhism was first introduced in the 6th century. The original statue is hidden while a copy of it is shown to the public every six years for a few weeks. Zenkō-ji is one of the few remaining pilgrimage sites in Japan. Founded before Buddhism split into different sects it currently belongs to the Tendai and Jodoshu schools of Buddhism who continue to believe in the Pure Land with images of Buddha often on the Lotus Throne stemming from the beliefs around the importance of the Lotus Sutra.
This rare, 18th century woodblock print book depicting Zenkoji Temple includes illustrations throughout of Buddha and the Lotus Throne whereby the Buddha can look, possibly from the Pure Land, down onto the Buddhist Priests!
Item number: #7227
Mikuni Ehon Zenkoji
Japan: [c. 1700]
· Collation: Complete with all pages
o 8 illustrations
· References: Keio University, Japanese culture through rare books.
· Language: Japanese
· Binding: Softcover; tight & scure
· Size: ~9in X 6in (23cm x 15cm)
Very Fast. Very Safe. Free Shipping Worldwide.
Customer satisfaction is our priority! Notify us with 7 days of receiving, and we will offer a full refund without reservation!
Photos available upon request.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Mikuni Ehon Zenkoji
- Softcover; tight & scure
- Book condition
- Used - Near Fine
- Quantity available
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Mikuni Ehon Zenkoji 1700 Japanese Illustrated Woodblock Zenkoji Temple Buddhism Lotus Sutra JAPAN, rare, antique, old, first edition, 1st state, provenance, signed, inscribed, dust jacket, vellum, manuscript, engravings, illustrations, leather, plates, ma
Terms of Sale
Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books
About the Seller
About Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.