MILTON'S A PARADISE LOST, A FIRST EDITION by RICHARD BENTLEY, and POETICAL WORKS VOLUME 2, CONTAINING PARADISE REGAINED.
by MILTON, John. RICHARD BENTLEY EDITION.:
- See description
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London, printed for Jacob Tonson at Shakespear's Head in the Strand, 1720 and Jacob Tonson et al.,1732.. TWO VOLUMES, MIXED SET, 1720 and 1732. 4to, approximately 295 x 230 mm, 11½ x 9 inches. PARADISE LOST, 1732, new edition by RICHARD BENTLEY, 2 full page engraved portraits of John Milton, 1 as frontispiece, pages: , 1-399, , plus16 pages of index, last page blank, complete with half-title. Some scuffing to original covers, tips of corners professionally repaired, 1 gilt letter to title rubbed away, top margin of title page slightly trimmed, small pale stain to 1 outer margin and 2 others have small patch of pale foxing, old ink inscriptions to top of first free endpaper, 2 bookplates to first pastedown, (Christopher Montagu), otherwise a very good clean tight copy. POETICAL WORKS VOLUME 2 1720, engraved portrait of John Milton as frontispiece, engraved vignette to title page, 6 engraved headpieces, 5 engraved tailpieces and 6 engraved pictorial initials, pages: , -527. The name Samson on page R3 has been ruled through in old ink and the name Manoa inked in beside in small letters, 1 page has 2 small holes affecting 2 letters only, 2 bookplates to first pastedown, (Christopher Montagu). Uniformly bound in contemporary polished calf covers with new spines, gilt lettered title label to spine, gilt rules and decoration to spine, new endpapers, speckled edges. Slight scuffing to original covers, tips of corners professionally repaired, otherwise both volumes in very good condition. See: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Milton Collection in the Alexander Turnbull Library, compiled by K. A. Coleridge, page 142, No 103, and pages 275-276. HEAVY BOOKS WHICH WILL REQUIRE EXTRA POSTAGE. MORE IMAGES ATTACHED TO THIS LISTING, ALL ZOOMABLE, FURTHER IMAGES ON REQUEST. POSTAGE AT COST.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Roger Middleton (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- MILTON'S A PARADISE LOST, A FIRST EDITION by RICHARD BENTLEY, and POETICAL WORKS VOLUME 2, CONTAINING PARADISE REGAINED.
- MILTON, John. RICHARD BENTLEY EDITION.:
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Place of Publication
- London, printed for Jacob Tonson at Shakespear's Head in the Strand, 1720 and Jacob Tonson et al.,1732.
- JOHN MILTON POEMS PARADISE REGAINED IN FOUR BOOKS SAMSON AGONISTES SHAKESPEAR'S HEAD PRESS
Terms of Sale
We have been established booksellers for 42 years. We are a postal business only (strictly no callers). We are long-standing members of the P.B.F.A. the largest trade association for antiquarian booksellers in the UK. We wrap all our parcels in new materials and all our books are insured at our expense. Books may be returned if wrongly described, all costs will be met by us. ****PLEASE NOTE: POSTAGE WILL BE CHARGED AT COST, MEANING THAT POSTAGE WILL BE REDUCED ON PARCELS WEIGHING UNDER 1 KILO, AND IT WILL BE INCREASED ON MOST PARCELS WEIGHING MORE THAN 1 KILO****
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since: 2010
Ask Seller a Question
About Roger Middleton
We are a postal business only, selling rare and antiquarian books on interesting subjects.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- A decorative design or illustration placed at the beginning or end of a ...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]