The mission to Siam, and Hue the Capital of Cochin China in the years 1821-2. From the journal of the late George Finlayson, Esq. With a Memoir of the Author by Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, F.R.S.
by Finlayson, George. (Raffles, Sir Thomas Stamford)
- See description and photos
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
First edition. John Murray. London. 1826. 8vo. Half title. Title. xxxi, 427pp. Frontispiece view of Bankok. Contemporary half calf, spine relaid. Spine in six compartments with gilt decoration. Leather label with gilt lettering. Marbled boards. Some foxing to ffeps, foxing and offsetting to frontispiece and title. Marginal stain pp294-8: text unaffected, otherwise crisp bright text. Reinforced to hinges. Shelf wear. Armorial bookplate of Thomas Philip Earl de Grey, Wrest Park to fep.
Provenance: The bookplate of Thomas Philip Earl de Grey at Wrest Park (1781-1859), known as The Lord Grantham from 1786 to 1833, British Tory politician and statesman, holding office as first Lord of the Admiralty till April 1835. First President of RIBA, Earl de Grey was a fellow of the Royal Society, The Royal Geographical Society and the Society of Antiquaries. ODNB
George Finlayson (1790-1823), Scottish naturalist and explorer. In 1821-2 he accompanied John Crawfurd to Siam (Thailand) and Cochin China (Vietnam) as naturalist. ODNB
Raffles, Sir (Thomas) Stamford Bingley (1781-1826), colonial governor and founder of Singapore. ODNB
Crawfurd, John (1783-1868), orientalist and colonial administrator. ODNB
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The mission to Siam, and Hue the Capital of Cochin China in the years 1821-2. From the journal of the late George Finlayson, Esq. With a Memoir of the Author by Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, F.R.S.
- Finlayson, George. (Raffles, Sir Thomas Stamford)
- Book condition
- Used - See description and photos
- Quantity available
- First edition
- John Murray
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Thailand, Vietnam, Travel, Exploration, Armorial Bookplate, Raffles, Crawfurd
- Bookseller catalogs
- Travel and Exploration; Provenance, Bookplates and Associations; The Middle East, India and Asia; Christmas gift ideas; Fine Bindings;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- half title
- The blank front page which appears just prior to the title page, and typically contains only the title of the book, although, at...[more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- Marbled boards
- A term often used to indicate a book's new-like condition. Indicates that the hinges are not loosened. A book described as crisp...[more]
- shelf wear
- Shelf wear (shelfwear) describes damage caused over time to a book by placing and removing a book from a shelf. This damage is...[more]