THE MODERN ART OF COOKERY IMPROVED; or, elegant, cheap, and easy methods, of preparing most of the dishes now in vogue; ... by, Mrs. Ann Shackleford, ...
by SHACKLEFORD, Mrs Ann, of Winchester.:
- See description
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London, printed for J. Newbery; and F. Newbery, 1767.. To which is added, an appendix; containing a dissertation on the different kinds of food, their nature, quality, and various uses. By a phycisian [sic]. And a marketing manual, and other useful particulars. By the editor. FIRST EDITION 1767, 12mo, approximately 165 x 105 mm, 6½ x 4 inches, pages: xxiv, 1-284, , - index, bound in full modern panelled calf, gilt raised bands, gilt decoration in compartments, gilt lettered red morocco label, new endpapers. Title page lightly browned, very faint damp stain to upper outer corner of A2-A8, occasional light browning to upper or lower margins, one or two tiny light stains, otherwise a very good clean tight copy. See: John Newbery and his Successors 1740-1814 , A Bibliography, by S. Roscoe, page 370, No A 494; Bitting, Gastronomic Bibliography, page 430; Vicaire, Bibliographie Gastronomique 791; Oxford, English Cookery Books, page 95; Maclean, Household and Cookery Books 1701-1800, page 131; ESTC T119096. MORE IMAGES ATTACHED TO THIS LISTING, ALL ZOOMABLE. FURTHER IMAGES ON REQUEST. POSTAGE AT COST.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Roger Middleton (GB)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- THE MODERN ART OF COOKERY IMPROVED; or, elegant, cheap, and easy methods, of preparing most of the dishes now in vogue; ... by, Mrs. Ann Shackleford, ...
- SHACKLEFORD, Mrs Ann, of Winchester.:
- Full modern panelled calf
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Place of Publication
- London, printed for J. Newbery; and F. Newbery, 1767.
- Date Published
- COOKERY COOKING RECIPES HEALTH WINES FOOD JOHN NEWBERY
Terms of Sale
We have been established booksellers for 42 years. We are a postal business only (strictly no callers). We are long-standing members of the P.B.F.A. the largest trade association for antiquarian booksellers in the UK. We wrap all our parcels in new materials and all our books are insured at our expense. Books may be returned if wrongly described, all costs will be met by us. ****PLEASE NOTE: POSTAGE WILL BE CHARGED AT COST, MEANING THAT POSTAGE WILL BE REDUCED ON PARCELS WEIGHING UNDER 1 KILO, AND IT WILL BE INCREASED ON MOST PARCELS WEIGHING MORE THAN 1 KILO****
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since 2010
Ask Seller a Question
About Roger Middleton
We are a postal business only, selling rare and antiquarian books on interesting subjects.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the... [More]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also... [More]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [More]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat the... [More]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects, "new"... [More]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created in the... [More]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [More]
- A duodecimo is a book approximately 7 by 4.5 inches in size, or similar in size to a contemporary mass market paperback. Also... [More]