by [Antonio Sogliano, Antonio Niccolini]
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Complete with 150 chromolithographic plates in elephant-folio size of wall paintings, statues, figures, furniture, graffiti, plaster-casts of bodies and views of ruins from ancient Pompeii.
Originally published in five parts with 30 plates in each.
Lithographed by D. Capri after G. Discanno, A de Simone, V. Mollame, V. Loria, S. de Stefani, A. Carelli, A. Magliano, and directed by Antonio Niccolini.
Text by Antonio Sogliano, in Italian, German, English and French.
Antonio Sogliano (1854-1942) was an Italian archaeologist. From 1906 to 1929, he was professor of the antiquities of Pompeii at the University of Naples Federico II.
Antonio Niccolini was grandson of the architect and scenic designer Antonio Niccolini Sr. (1772-1850). Antonio Jr. also published the final two volumes of Fausto and Felice Niccolini's monumental book on the interior design of Pompeii, Le case ed i monumenti di Pompei (Houses and monuments of Pompeii), 1854-1897, after the brothers' death in 1886. He also published a book of reconstructions of Roman life in the city, Pompeii: Essaies et Restaurations, 1898.
Half leather binding with six raised bands, gilt title on spine, marble boards and endpapers, binding solid. Rear board with water damage affecting the last 10 plates, but 140 plates with vibrant colour in fine condition.
Huge heavy book!
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Florilegius (JP)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Monumenta Pompeiana
- [Antonio Sogliano, Antonio Niccolini]
- G. Discanno, A de Simone, V. Mollame, V. Loria, Antonio Niccolini, D. Capri, S. de Stefani
- Half leather and marble boards
- Book Condition
- Used - Good
- Jacket Condition
- Quantity Available
- Officina d'Arti Grafiche Napoletana
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Elephant Folio, 61 x 43cm
- Sogliano, Niccolini, Monumenta Pompeiana, Pompeii, wall painting, mural, statue, Roman, classical art, chromolithograph, Discanno, D. Capri,
- Bookseller catalogs
- Ancient History;
- May be a multi-volume set and require additional postage.
Terms of Sale
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined by AB...
- Raised Band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created in the...