MY FATHER'S SON: THE MEMOIRS OF MAJOR THE EARL HAIG,OBE,DL,ARSA.
by HAIG, DAWYCK, MAJOR,THE EARL HAIG,OBE,DL,ARSA :
Standard Delivery: 4 to 7 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
While the Field Marshal's role has been minutely examined by countless historians,'My Father's Son' provides a fresh and invaluable perspective of this controversial figure - as family man and father.The reader,whatever his or her prejudices,is likely to be surprised.
While history has not on the whole been generous to Douglas Haig,he was,during the early post war years,regarded as an icon; it is often forgotten that his soldiers respected him greatly.
Thus,on his death,his son and heir,then only nine years old,was required not just to succeed to the Earldom,but to assume his father's place attending many memorial occasions related to the Great War.
Even the Second World War could not free the author from the burden of his ancestry.As an officer in the Royal Scots Greys,he was taken prisoner in North Africa and became,on account of his distinguished parentage,one of the Prominente held oh Hitler's orders in Colditz.As the Allies closed in,Haig's and his fellow hostages' fate was in balance, as vividly described in this memoir.
The war over and his liberty restored,the author sought successfully to express himself as an artist before his inheritance claimed him,and he was obliged to return to the Family estate at Bemersyde in the Borders.
While some may envy,and others pity,Lord Haig for the curious hand that fate dealt him,none will dispute that his life story is truly absorbing. They will also surely conclude that,whether as patrician,prisoner or painter,he has remained very much his own man.
Please contact email@example.com ,because of the value of this item,for correct,insured shipping/P+p quotes - particularly ALL overseas buyers - BEFORE ordering through the order page!
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- R. J. A. PAXTON-DENNY. (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- MY FATHER'S SON: THE MEMOIRS OF MAJOR THE EARL HAIG,OBE,DL,ARSA.
- HAIG, DAWYCK, MAJOR,THE EARL HAIG,OBE,DL,ARSA :
- illus with contemporary b/w autobiographical and familial photographs and author's b/w illustrations.
- Book condition
- Used - FINE+.
- Jacket condition
- Quantity available
- UK,slim 8vo HB+dw/dj,1st edn.
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
- UK.BARNSLEY,S. YORKSHIRE.LEO COOPER/PEN & SWORD BOOKS LTD.,2000.
- Place of Publication
- This edition first published
- q52.BIOGRAPHY.NAVAL.MILITARY.UK,slim 8vo HB+dw/dj,1st edn.ISBN 0850527082.Field-Marshal Earl Haig_WW1.Son_Dawyck Haig_Bemersyde Estate_memoirs_autobiography.WW2_Royal Scots Greys officer_North Africa_capture_imprisonment Colditz.Books new,used,signed,rare
- Bookseller catalogs
- NAVAL/MILITARY; BIOGRAPHY;
Terms of Sale
R. J. A. PAXTON-DENNY.
NO books will be sent 'ON APPROVAL' unless paid for in full and invoiced accordingly and with appropiate Registered/Recorded/Insurance,where applicable.If returned/declined monies refundable (P+p and any processing fees excluded). Other returns/refunds, only if book(s) are misdescribed,and then a) matches the invoice sent with it, b) returned in original packaging and state/condition sent out in,and received by buyer, c) and returned at the seller's original and actual shipping/P+p cost used when despatched to buyer - any excess cost borne at returnee's own expense. Notification of intent of return, required within 2 days of receipt of book please. 30 day return guarantee, for refund, (excluding P+p costs and any processing fees), for up to 30 days after delivery, only if an item arrives either misdescribed or damaged.Other returns accepted at seller's discretion. Orders processed same day,subject to time of receipt of order and payment, by end of P.O's business day, where applicable, and despatched the same day (weekends excluded). Shipping/P+p costs are based on books weighing 2.2Lb,or 1KG and UNINSURED, unless quoted otherwise. If your book order (P+p cost included/excluded) is in excess of 20.00 GBP,heavy or oversized, as per instruction, we'll contact you to let you know if extra shipping/insurance is required.Prices are nett, worldwide shipping/handling and registration/ insurance fees are extra.Books/orders in excess of 20.00 GBP will only be sent with appropriate insurance fees. So,for actual insured/registered shipping costs, prior contact with the seller, BEFORE ordering, is required at: firstname.lastname@example.org. All orders are wrapped in sellophane, then either bubble-wrapped or corrugated-card and then boxed.[US+CANADA only.] Items/orders over 20.00 GBP are automatically sent registered/insured either via PARCEL FORCE [insured].Or, International SIGNED For [insured] AIRMAIL,minimum of 6.50 GBP,in addition to P+p and subject to book('s) weight.Books WILL NOT be sent without appropiate Registered/Recorded/Insurance,where applicable.We use the Royal Mail for inland (UK)and most overseas deliveries.For most other International destinations,for orders/books in excess of 20.00 GBP,we use Royal Mail International Registered/SIGNED For minimum of 6.50 GBP (100gm),in addition to postage and subject to book('s) weight.UK addresses, orders/ books in excess of 20.00 GBP, sent Next Day Guaranteed Delivery [Minimum Insured up to 250 GBP automatically - at no fee,extra insurance can be bought upto 1,000 GBP and Maximum 2,500 GBP - enquire for costs.], minimum of 5.90 GBP per order, again subject to weight.
About the Seller
About R. J. A. PAXTON-DENNY.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- An exact copy of an original work. In books, it refers to a copy or reproduction, as accurate as possible, of an original...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]