Mythologiae sive explicationis Fabularum Libri Decem, inquibus omnia prope Naturalis et Moralis philosophiae dogmata in veterum fabulis contenta fuisse perspicue demonstrator: Oput cuissuis facultatis studiosis perutile ac prope necessarium.: Accessit G. Linocerii Musarum Mythologia, & anonymi observationum in totam de dijs gentium narrationem Libellus. Adiectae sunt insuper nouissimae huic, post Germanica & Gallicam, edition elegantissimae Deorum imagines, & eruditissimae mytholog
by Conti, Natale [Natalis Comitis; Natalis Comes]
- See description and photos
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
First illustrated edition. Patavii, apud Petrumpaulum Tozzium. Extypographeio Laurentij Pasquati. 1616. [Imprim. Typographum Cameralem. 1615. Patauij ex Typographia Camer. 1616] Small Quarto. Title page in red and black, (5), (5) Catalogus, (28) Index, 614, (1), 60pp. 2 full page engraved plates, folding astrological plate, numerous further engravings, engraved headpieces, tailpieces and historiated initials. Text in Latin and Greek. Contemporary vellum, spine in five compartments with raised bands. Gilt rules and floral motifs to spine and boards. Hand lettering to spine. Vestiges of closure ties. All page edges gauffered: decoratively tooled and gilded. Signature partly excised from lower margin of title by scorching. Historic notation to fep. Some age related marking and discolouration to vellum. Occasional paper faults, short closed tear to attachment of folding plate, minor corner tears etc., light marginal staining to first ten pages, last few pages lightly spotted, light variable toning. A handsome and rare volume.
Natale Conti (1520-1582) Venetian Euhumerist mythographer, poet and historian. The 'foremost exponent of the mythological tradition', Conti's researches and interpretations here were a source for Renaissance emblem books, dictionaries and commentaries, Shakespeare, Milton, Spencer, Bacon, Chapman, Ben Jonson, etc. Ref.: ODNB; Francis Bacon, Natalis Comes and the Mythological Tradition. Barbara Carman Garner. Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes. Vol. 33 (1970), pp. 264-291
Not in the British Library. Two copies only in the UK: One copy Cambridge University Special Collections; One copy Glasgow University Special Collection.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Mythologiae sive explicationis Fabularum Libri Decem, inquibus omnia prope Naturalis et Moralis philosophiae dogmata in veterum fabulis contenta fuisse perspicue demonstrator: Oput cuissuis facultatis studiosis perutile ac prope necessarium.
- Conti, Natale [Natalis Comitis; Natalis Comes]
- Book condition
- Used - See description and photos
- Quantity available
- First illustrated edition
- Apud Petrumpaulum Tozzium. Extypographeio Laurentij Pasquati
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Mythology, Fable, Legend, Vellum, Woodcuts, Latin, Greek, Gauffered
- Bookseller catalogs
- History; Literature; Philosophy and Theology; Fine Bindings; Italy and Italian Interest;
- Small quarto
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The term quarto is used to describe a page or book size. A printed sheet is made with four pages of text on each side, and the...[more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- Vellum is a sheet of specialty prepared skin of lamb, calf, or goat kid used for binding a book or for printing and writing. ...[more]
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created...[more]
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]