The Naked and the Dead
by Mailer, Norman (1923-2007)
- Finely bound in modern aniline calf over marble boards. Raised bands with the title blocked direct in gilt. Spine compartments u
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Acclaimed as a successful expression of the futility of war, Norman Mailer's The Naked and the Dead follows the story of an army platoon of foot soldiers fighting for the possession of the Japanese-held island of Anopopei during World War II. The novel, which embodies wartime disillusionment, is partly based on Mailer’s own experiences with the 112th Cavalry in the Pacific. Through its four parts, The Naked and the Dead addresses themes of loneliness, death of fear and dying, and brotherhood. The novel is written in gritty, journalistic detail. However, this tone was dialed back as publishers persuaded Mailer to use to euphemism “fug” in lieu of the mother of all curse words — the “F” word — in his novel. The Naked and the Dead sold 200,000 copies in its first three months and was a New York Times best seller for over a year. Despite some controversy among critics, the novel remains important in American literature. The Naked and the Dead is ranked 51st on Modern Library’s “100 Best” English-language novels of the 20th century. The novel was later adapted into a film of the same name in 1958.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log-in or Create an Account first!)
this is a book of the month issue
- MW Books Ltd. (IE)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- The Naked and the Dead
- Mailer, Norman (1923-2007)
- Book condition
- Used - Finely bound in modern aniline calf over marble boards. Raised bands with the title blocked direct in gilt. Spine compartments u
- Quantity available
- 1st edition, 1st issue
- New York : Rinehart
- Date Published
Terms of Sale
MW Books Ltd.
Returns accepted within 10 days of receipt if you are unsatisfied with either our description of, or the book itself.
About the Seller
About MW Books Ltd.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created... [More]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [More]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat... [More]