The Natural History of Staffordshire.
by Plot, Robert
- See description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
First edition. Printed at the Theatre. Oxford. 1686. Tall quarto. Title; Imprim.; (2)pp; (2)pp; (4)pp; (2)pp; (1)pp; (3)pp; 450pp; index (10)pp; subscriber's list 2pp. Folding map, 37 plates, of which 25 are double. Lacking Plate XXVIIII. Includes the Armes Omitted plate which is often lacking.
Contemporary tooled calf. Relaid to spine, with short split to top. Spine in six compartments with gilt tooling and leather label. Gilt edge embellishment. Commensurate ageing, corners bumped and rubbed. Edges sprinkled. Endpapers renewed. Paper fault to margin of 159/60. Page 417 misnumbered 407. Occasional spotting or toning. A few short closed tears to folds. A nice example, with all the prelims and the subscriber's list. Bookplates to fep.
This work contains the earliest known recorded account of Freemasonry ritual on pages 316 to 318. Plot refers to the Masonic secrets, and mentions "The large parchment vellum they have amongst them, containing the History and Rules of the craft of masonry".
Plot, Robert (bap. 1640, d. 1696) In March 1683 he was appointed Professor of Chemistry, and first Keeper of the Ashmolean Museum. Elias Ashmole's initiation into Freemasonry occurred on 16 October 1646 at Warrington in Lancashire, and he recorded it briefly in his diary.
Provenance: Vernon of Sudbury bookplate. George Vernon (1635-1702) is included in the subscriber's list. The Vernons of Sudbury held Swynnerton and Hilton in Staffordshire. Wright bookplate.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The Natural History of Staffordshire.
- Plot, Robert
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Printed at the Theatre.
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- British History, Archaeology, Plates, Ashmolean, Bookplate, Freemasonry, Natural History
- Bookseller catalogs
- Natural HIstory; British Local History; Provenance, Bookplates and Associations; Archaeology & Ancient History; Fine Bindings;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, but any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]
- Vellum is a sheet of specialty prepared skin of lamb, calf, or goat kid used for binding a book or for printing and writing. ...[more]
- Pages or book covering made from a prepared animal skin. Parchment describes any animal skin used for books, while vellum is a...[more]
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- The term quarto is used to describe a page or book size. A printed sheet is made with four pages of text on each side, and the...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
This Book’s Categories
- Bindings & Editions Fine Bindings
- Countries & Cultures Europe Great Britain
- History Western History European History Western European History British History
- Nature Natural History
- History Archaeology
- Science & Technology Natural Sciences
- Hobbies & Crafts Collecting Book Collecting
- Antiquarian & Rare Collectible Books