A NEW DICTIONARY OF NATURAL HISTORY; or, Compleat Universal Display of Animated Nature with Accurate Representations of the Most Curious and Beautiful Animals, Elegantly Coloured. ( Two volumes in one )
by Martyn, William Frederic
- very good
- Very Good
Rougemont, North Carolina, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London: Printed for Harrison and Co, 1785. 1st Edition. Hardcover. Very Good. Folio - over 12 - 15" tall. 1st ed. Two volumes in one. Folio ( 14 inches ). Early -mid 20th century half leather and cloth with gilt spine title, marbled end papers. Complete with index, Preface, text and 100 hand colored plates with many individual animals per plate. Very Good, very tight, very slight wear to covers. The hinges have been professionally strengthened with a high quality cloth tape. The text and plates are generally nice and clean save the following: there is a light, old stain at the top of the second blank end paper, title page, index page, preface page, first plate and first page of text ( see photos ). The title page has been backed and has a repair at the bottom fore corner. The first pate has been laid down and has some overall soiling in addition to the top stain. Three early text leaves have some heavy foxing. the rest of the text is clean save some very little foxing here and there or some light offsetting from the facing color plates. One leaf is strengthened on half the fore edge. The plates are nice and clean with a few having some light overall tanning, a few have some insignificant foxing or a light smudge. One plate has be backed and has some wrinkling. There is a light stain that can be seen on the upper fore edge of the first third of the book but has virtually no or only the very slightest effect on the interior. A copy with a few problems but still a lovely book with many hundreds of individual hand colored illustrations. *** Please note: Expedited and International shipping will require additional postage. ***.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Frey Fine Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- A NEW DICTIONARY OF NATURAL HISTORY; or, Compleat Universal Display of Animated Nature with Accurate Representations of the Most Curious and Beautiful Animals, Elegantly Coloured. ( Two volumes in one )
- Martyn, William Frederic
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Quantity Available
- 1st Edition
- Printed for Harrison and Co
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- natural, history, hand, colored, plates, british, biology,
Terms of Sale
Frey Fine Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio member since 2019
Rougemont, North Carolina
Ask Seller a Question
About Frey Fine Books
Antiquarian bookseller, with over 15 years experience.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- Fore Edge
- The portion of a book that is opposite the spine. That part of a book which faces the wall when shelved in a traditional...
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet...
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- A folio usually indicates a large book size of 15" in height or larger when used in the context of a book description. Further,...