The new week's preparation for a worthy receiving of the Lord's Supper, as recommended and appointed by the Church of England; consisting of meditations and prayers
by [Church of England]
- very good
- Very good
Standard Delivery: 7 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
An attractive English binding, possibly made in Brighton (see below). * This edition is not listed ESTC or OCLC and is distinguished by the engraved frontispiece, on the verso the printed appeal by W. Bent dated 1785, warning the public of "surreptitious" counterfeit editions of the present work. Indeed, two similar (but not identical) editions are listed by ESTC; these are recorded in just one or two libraries each. Both editions are reproduced in "Eighteenth Century Collections Online" and ours represents an entirely different setting of type. * THE BINDING: The most extraordinary tools on the present binding are surely the "bat-wing" cherubs that adorn the entire length of the spine, quite distinctive, and yet apparently remain unrecorded. It is very possible that the workshop was provincial (perhaps Brighton?) which accounts for a paltry amount of literature published on the subject. PROVENANCE: Early inscriptions of two women collectors appear on the verso of the first flyleaf: "Sarah Lumsdale, 9 Bloomsbury Place, Brighton" (NB: this house still exists) -- "Mary Cobb, April 11, 1800." * This edition is not to be confused with ESTC T80498 or T80499.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Michael Laird Rare Books LLC (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The new week's preparation for a worthy receiving of the Lord's Supper, as recommended and appointed by the Church of England; consisting of meditations and prayers
- [Church of England]
- Book condition
- Used - Very good
- Quantity available
- Printed by assignment from the executors of E. Wicksteed for W. Bent
- Place of Publication
- Date published
Terms of Sale
Michael Laird Rare Books LLC
14 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 14 days after delivery if an item arrives mis-described or damaged.
About the Seller
About Michael Laird Rare Books LLC
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A duodecimo is a book approximately 7 by 4.5 inches in size, or similar in size to a contemporary mass market paperback....[more]
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.
- The heel of the spine.
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- The page on the right side of a book, with the term Verso used to describe the page on the left side.
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Goatskin, leather made from goat, is durable and easy to dye. The original and finest examples of Morocco binding are...[more]