The Northern Goldfields Diaries of Thomas Baines. First Journey 1869-1870. First Journey 1870-1871. Second Journey 1871-1872.
by Baines, Thomas (Wallis, J. P. R. ed)
- See description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Presentation Edition, limited to fifty copies of which this is Number 46. Printed for the Government of Southern Rhodesia at the University Press, Glasgow. Chatto & Windus. London. 1946. 3 volumes. 4to. xxxviii, 277pp. 4 colour plates, 5 half-tone plates, 2 folding maps; viii, -598pp. 3 colour plates, 12 half tone plates, folding map; viii, -855pp. 8 half tone plates, 2 maps (one folding). Original blue leather, gilt to spines and to board armorial vignettes. Slightly faded to spines, bumped and rubbed. Top edges gilt. Edges untrimmed.
Provenance: Bookplates of Sir Campbell Stuart G.C.M.G K.B.E to ffeps.
Sir Campbell Stuart (1885-1972) 'His tall, lean figure and eager, expressive face, quick to break into smiles, were familiar in Embassies and drawing-rooms in Mayfair and in Montreal, Cape Town and other centres of the old Empire' (The Times, 15 Sept 1972). At dinner parties at his seventeenth-century Highgate house, The Grove, he brought together leading figures from the worlds of journalism, diplomacy, and business. He undoubtedly did things in style. ODNB.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The Northern Goldfields Diaries of Thomas Baines. First Journey 1869-1870. First Journey 1870-1871. Second Journey 1871-1872.
- Baines, Thomas (Wallis, J. P. R. ed)
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Limited edition
- Printed for the Government of Southern Rhodesia at the University Press, Glasgow. Chatto & Windus.
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Africa, Rhodesia, Exploration, Mining, Bookplate, Limited edition
- Bookseller catalogs
- Travel and Exploration; Science; Provenance, Bookplates and Associations; Africa; Fine Bindings;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined...[more]