Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
1831 1st edition Hunchback of Notre Dame Victor Hugo French Literature Paris
"Nothing makes a man so adventurous as an empty pocket."
― Victor Hugo, The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The best-known and oft-considered greatest French writer is unarguably Victor Hugo. His romance novels and stories have withstood the test of language and time. One of Hugo's most popular stories is 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame'; a tale of a gypsy who catches the hearts of men including a hunchback named Quasimodo. This work has been transformed into dozens of stage, film, and television adaptations.
This extremely rare and valuable 1831 first edition is one of the most difficult pieces of French literature to obtain in first edition form. According to Carteret,
"this first edition is the rarest of all the author's works; it had a worldwide impact, and it's one of the most difficult to get from the Romantic period."
This edition specifies 'cinquieme edition' on the half-title. This is significant in that it was the fifth installment of the 1831 first edition print run which only included 275 copies per print run. Note this is not a fifth edition printing. Even examples with 'quatrieme' or 'troisime' on the title page are found for sale for between $12,000 to $15,000.
Item number: #10588
Notre-Dame de Paris
Paris: Charles Gosselin, Libraire., 1831. First edition. Cinquieme issue
· Collation: Complete with all pages; 2 volumes
o Tome I
Vol. 1 – , -322
Vol. 2 – , -338
o Tome II
Vol. 3 – , -226
Vol. 4 – , -285, 
o Note: Engraved title pages by Tony Johannot
· References: Carteret 'Tresor du Bibliophile Romantique' I 402;
· Provenance: Handwritten – E. Leperé
· Language: French
· Binding: Leather; tight & secure
o Tome I – Visible repair at inner hinge
· Size: ~9in X 6in (22.5cm x 15cm)
Very Fast. Very Safe. Free Shipping Worldwide.
Customer satisfaction is our priority! Notify us with 7 days of receiving, and we will offer a full refund without reservation!
Photos available upon request.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Notre-Dame de Paris
- HUGO, Victor
- Leather; tight & secure
- Book condition
- Used - Near Fine
- Quantity available
- Charles Gosselin, Libraire
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- 1831 1st edition Hunchback of Notre Dame Victor Hugo French Literature Parisrare, antique, old, first edition, 1st state, provenance, signed, inscribed, dust jacket, vellum, manuscript, engravings, illustrations, leather, plates, maps, antiquarian
Terms of Sale
Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books
About the Seller
About Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.