OLIVER TWIST; OR, THE PARISH BOY'S PROGRESS. In Three Volumes
by (Dickens, Charles) By "BOZ
- very good
- Very Good
Rougemont, North Carolina, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London: Richard Bentley, New Burlington Street, 1838. 1st Edition. Leather. Very Good. George Cruikshank. 12mo - over 6¾ - 7¾" tall. 3 volumes. First issue of the 1st edition. 12mo., [Vol.1]331; [Vol.2] 307; [Vol.3] 315pp., illustrated with 24 frontispieces and plates. Bound in full morocco, with boards single lined in gilt. The six compartment spines are decorated with a five leaf flower in each compartment, and title and volume number in gilt. Edge dentelles. a.e.g. Tips very lightly rubbed. Spines sunned, with joints lightly rubbed. Some loss of gilt to the spine's lettering. New paste downs and added end papers. Each volume's title page, and volume 1's half title page have been stamped with an oval stamp. These stamps show signs of having been attempted to be erased. It is my belief, when coupled with the new paste downs and end papers, that this set was formerly an ex-library set, with an attempt to remove all library markings. Each volume contains a laid in slip showing it was "Purchased at The Old Curiosity Shop; Immortalized by Charles Dickens.", probably in the 1980's. Generally very clean internally, with an occasional blemish or bit of foxing. While very likely an ex-library set, it is still Very Good, in an attractive full leather binding. **** Dicken's second novel. Issue points for first printing: ' By "BOZ" on each volume's title page. The reverse of the half-title leaf from volume one advertises Dickens's new work, BARNABY RUDGE. The presence of "Fireside Plate" in volume 3, indicates a first issue of the first edition. The plate was cancelled in later issues. Note: The three volume set was released before the serial edition was completed.****.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Frey Fine Books (US)
- Seller's Inventory #
- OLIVER TWIST; OR, THE PARISH BOY'S PROGRESS. In Three Volumes
- (Dickens, Charles) By "BOZ
- George Cruikshank
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Quantity Available
- 1st Edition
- Richard Bentley, New Burlington Street
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- fiction, 19th century, social, issues, labor, classic
- May be a multi-volume set and require additional postage.
Terms of Sale
Frey Fine Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio member since 2019
Rougemont, North Carolina
Ask Seller a Question
About Frey Fine Books
Antiquarian bookseller, with over 15 years experience.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- Half Title
- The blank front page which appears just prior to the title page, and typically contains only the title of the book, although, at...
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects, "new"...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...
- Damage done to a book cover or dust jacket caused by exposure to direct sunlight. Very strong fluorescent light can cause slight...
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...
- A duodecimo is a book approximately 7 by 4.5 inches in size, or similar in size to a contemporary mass market paperback. Also...