by Metalious, Grace
- See description
Maysville, Georgia, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
The plot of Peyton Place is quite controversial among modern first editions, and the history of its publication is just as scandalous. Peyton Place was largely based off of the small town scandals that were known to plague several New England towns. Some of the places and characters so closely resembled their real life counterparts that author Grace Metalious was actually sued for libel. Some of the people in these towns were particularly distraught that their communities were depicted so negatively, the reception of Peyton Place nearly drove Metalious into hiding. The book was first published by Julian Messner, Inc in 1956, and it was an instant hit. Through word of mouth, it sold approximately 60,000 copies in the first two weeks of its publication, and it stayed on the New York Time best seller list for 59 weeks. It was so popular, it was adapted into a film and into a multi-year daytime soap opera. The first US edition dust jacket is fairly plain and the paper quality was low, so the jacket is likely to be browned or yellowed with age. Famously, Metalious was sued for libel by one of the people who was included in the book. Tomas Makris was featured in Peyton Place , and his name and physical characteristics matched the real-life individual. Notably, the character's name in UK edition was changed to Michael Kyros, and the character's name was changed in later US editions to Michael Rossi. In a shocking twist that infuriated many, Metalious had actually forged Makris' name on the release form. Such behavior is of course condemned by the literary community.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- BookRanger (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Peyton Place
- Metalious, Grace
- Sewn binding is square and tight. Block and pages are bright and unmarked. Book appears to be lightly read.
- Book Condition
- Quantity Available
- First Edition thus
- Simon & Schuster
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date Published
- 0.00 lbs
Terms of Sale
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
This is because we do not buy books blindly in mass purchases. All of our books are hand-picked for such qualities as condition, subject matter, scarcity, and overall appeal. On rare occasions, a book's physical condition may fall below our normal standards, due to scarcity of the particular title or edition. In any case, we make every attempt to use only the descriptive terms which accurately depict the particular book offered for sale.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects, "new"...
- Shelf Wear
- Shelf wear (shelfwear) describes damage caused over time to a book by placing and removing a book from a shelf. This damage is...
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...