Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
D. Appleton and Company, 1872. This large hardcover book is Very Good Plus; being square and tight. This is one of the volumes of the relatively rare six volume set published in cloth. Normally you see this in a two volume set. The boards are Very Good with minor scuffs to the edges and moderate wear to the points and extremities of the spine. The boards are still suprisingly pleasant for their age. The gilt on the front board and spine are pristine. The gilt edged block is Fine with very little toning. The pages have no markings or folds. The front gutter is cracked but strong and the rear gutter is pristine. The first half of the pages have a dampstain at the lower corner not involving the text or engravings. The steel plates are printed on top quality heavy paper. The wood block illustrations are remarkable in their detail. This volume is filled with scenes of America of the day from the natural to the man-made. It was personally edited by William Cullens Bryant in every detail. (BAL 1732).. Collectible; VG. First Edition.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Southron Books, LLC (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Picturesque America - Volume II Divison V (volume 5 of 6 only)
- William Cullen Bryant
- Book condition
- Used - Collectible; VG
- First Edition
- D. Appleton and Company
- Date published
- American Art
Terms of Sale
Southron Books, LLC
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since: 2011
Lexington, South Carolina
Ask Seller a Question
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The inside margin of a book, connecting the pages to the joints near the binding.
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- In reference to a hinge or a book's binding, means that the glue which holds the opposing leaves has allowed them to separate,...[more]
- Very Good condition can describe a used book that does show some small signs of wear - but no tears - on either binding or...[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]