Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London: David Bogue, 1881. First Printing, One of 250 copies only. "Handsomely Bound" Thick Parchment Vellum boards by Matthew Bell, in excellent state, with gilt stamped, "much smaller prune blossom design", as called for. Light age, with a few spots, some rubbing, extremity wear. Watermarked "Van Gelder", Dutch Handmade Paper, Top Edge Gilt (T.E.G.) very bright, other edges deckled, with "leaves varying slightly in size" as issued. Light browning offset to endpaper as per usual. Binding extremely tight. Free terminal of "Panthea" remains unopened. An exceptional copy of Wilde's First True Book, in which he oversaw the production, designing the prune blossoms binding, "wanting the cover and typography to be distinctive" (Ellmann, p.137). With a "Limited Edition", total print run of only 750 copies, it was issued in three "Printings" of 250 each. This First was released June 30, the Second and Third to follow on July 22 and September 26, using both the First Print Run sheets, and later printed sheets, with a new title-page. Some wear to binding, age as above, still, approaching Fine. (Mason ).. First Edition. Vellum Parchment, T.E.G., Sewn. Near Fine. 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall.
From the book:Not that I love thy children, whose dull eyesSee nothing save their own unlovely woe,Whose minds know nothing, nothing care to know, -But that the roar of thy Democracies,Thy reigns of Terror, thy great Anarchies,Mirror my wildest passions like the seaAnd give my rage a brother -! Liberty!For this sake only do thy dissonant criesDelight my discreet soul, else might all kingsBy bloody knout or treacherous cannonadesRob nations of their rights inviolateAnd I remain unmoved - and yet, and yet,These Christs that die upon the barricades,God knows it I am with them, in some things.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- GatesPastBooks (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Oscar Wilde
- Book condition
- Used - Near Fine
- Quantity available
- First Edition
- David Bogue
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Classics, Literature, Fiction, Plays, Poems, Prose, Essays, Journalism, Fine Binding, Art, Criticism, Theatre, Gay, Lesbian, Victorian, Fin De Siècle, Aestheticism, Bunburying
- 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall
Terms of Sale
All items ready to ship within 24 hours, safely, securely packed. 1-3 Day Priority/Express Domestic and Expedited International USPS available for all books. FedEx/UPS upon request. Contact directly if your preferred shipping option is not shown. Please note: heavy and/or oversized Items may require extra shipping charges.
Most books have images, email for further description or additional images if needed. All sales returnable if not as described.
Direct payments - https://paypal.me/GatesPastBooks
Communications - email@example.com ~ http://www.gatespastbooks.com
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- top edge gilt
- Top edge gilt refers to the practice of applying gold or a gold-like finish to the top of the text block (the edges the...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- Pages or book covering made from a prepared animal skin. Parchment describes any animal skin used for books, while vellum is a...[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- Vellum is a sheet of specialty prepared skin of lamb, calf, or goat kid used for binding a book or for printing and writing. ...[more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- A technique of printing where the inked image or text is ...[more]
- A state in which all or some of the pages of a book have not been separated from the adjacent pages, caused by a traditional...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]