The Poems of Virgil. Translated into English Prose.
by Conington, John (Publius Vergilus Maro)
- See description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Longman Green & Co. London. 1890. Octavo. (2), 424pp. Handsome full contemporary morocco. Spine in six compartments with raised bands. Gilt lettering to spine. Blind triple bordering rules to boards. Inner gilt curlicues. All edges gilt. Triple banded silk bookmark. Some slight shelfwear. Appears unread. Eton prize binding with bookplate to fep (Edmund Warre).
John Conington (1825 - 1869) Classical scholar. Corpus Professor of Latin at the University of Oxford from 1854 till his death.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The Poems of Virgil. Translated into English Prose.
- Conington, John (Publius Vergilus Maro)
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Longman Green & Co
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Virgil, Classics, Literature, Poetry, Eton binding
- Bookseller catalogs
- Literature; Christmas gift ideas; Fine Bindings;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- Minor wear resulting from a book being place on, and taken from a bookshelf, especially along the bottom edge.
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created...[more]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...[more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...[more]