The Poetical Works. Complete edition. With illustrations by John Gilbert, etc
by Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth
- See item description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
First edition thus. Routledge, Warne and Routledge. London. 1864. Small Octavo. x, 610pp. Engraved frontispiece, and 7 further tissue guarded engraved plates. Full green morocco, spine in five compartments with raised bands and gilt double boxing, dotted rules and foliar embellishment. Gilt rules and embossing to covers, inner gilt curlicues. Corners slightly rubbed.. All edges gilt. Endpapers lightly toned. Charles Thurnam and Sons Carlisle bookseller plate to verso ffep.
Inscribed "Second Music Prize Presented to Miss Browne by H. E. Ford Abbey Street Xmas 1865." [Miss Harriet Emma Ford, of Abbey Street School in Carlisle.] Emma Browne of Tallantire Hall, later Mrs Emma Moorsom, wife of James Marshall Moorsom.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882) poet. First published edition in the UK to include Tales of a Wayside Inn and Birds of Passage.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The Poetical Works. Complete edition. With illustrations by John Gilbert, etc
- Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth
- Gilbert, John
- Book condition
- Used - See item description
- Quantity available
- Routledge, Warne and Routledge.
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Poetry, Literature, Leather binding
- Bookseller catalogs
- Literature; Provenance, Bookplates and Associations; Americas and Caribbean; Christmas gift ideas; Fine Bindings;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- A common abbreviation for Front Free EndPaper. Generally, it is the first page of a book and is part of a single sheet that...[more]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...[more]
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...[more]