[POULTRY PHOTOMONTAGES] Ptitsevodstvo. Krolikovodstvo [i.e. Poultry Breeding. Rabbit Breeding] / compiled by A. Kuz'michev, edited by V. Karelin, designed by A. Belov
- See description
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
First and only edition. One of 5000 copies. Design by A. Belov. Illustrated throughout with black and white photographs and photomontages as well as three leaves with colored illustrations.
Extremely rare with only copy located in Ohio University.
One of the Soviet photobooks of animal husbandry connected with VDNKh pavilions. Richly illustrated, the edition opens with a woodcut title page; both chapters have half-titles with photographs of the appropriate pavilion. The books of VDNKh often start with its main entrance and this one shows a sculpture "Tractor Driver and Female Farmer" installed on a high pedestal (overall 13,5 meters) near the original (pre-war) entrance. In the 1950s the sculpture was changed and moved atop the entrance itself.
The dynamic design of the Soviet photobooks comprised curious photomontages. This album was no exception proving success of the state in the animal husbandry. The pictures of the first chapter feature various breeds of geese, ducks, chickens and turkeys. There are fowl crowds, "portraits" of record-breakers as well as photographs of human specialists working with them. In contrast to numerous birds, the second chapter of this book features much more "portraits". They are complemented with farm and laboratory views, as well as photographs of human specialists working with rabbits. Both chapters show that the Soviet state studied and selectively developed the domesticated animals - and text pieces explained how the farmers succeeded in that. Also, the album carries some information about products of rabbits and geese' fur.
It resembles El Lissitzky's book design, in particular, his last and least-known photobook 'The Cattle' (1940), devoted to VDNKh pavilion as well. The gilt cover decor is similar to the metope or bas-relief, the edition contains a few colored plates and photomontages, materials are arranged from 'leaders' of poultry/rabbits through farming to customers.
Iksusstvo ubezhdat' [i.e. Art of Convincing], p. 253.
- Bookvica (GE)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- [POULTRY PHOTOMONTAGES] Ptitsevodstvo. Krolikovodstvo [i.e. Poultry Breeding. Rabbit Breeding] / compiled by A. Kuz'michev, edited by V. Karelin, designed by A. Belov
- Book Condition
- Quantity Available
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
Terms of Sale
All items are subject to prior sale. All prices are net. Postage, packing, insurance and applicable sales taxes are extra.
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...