The Present State of the Cape of Good Hope: Or, A Particular Account of the several Nations of the Hottentots: Their Religion, Government, Laws, Customs, Ceremonies, and Opinions; Their Art of War, Professions, Language, Genius, &c. Together with A Short Account of the Dutch Settlement at The Cape. Written Originally in High German, By Peter Kolben, A.M. Done into
by Kolben, Peter (Medley, Guido transl.)
- See description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Peter Kolbe[n] (1675 - 1726) Astronomer, Philosopher, Scientist. Sent "to reside for some Time at the Cape of Good Hope; to make and digest the proper Observations on the Heavenly Bodies, as they appear'd from thence, for the Advancement of Astronomical Learning". In addition to his astronomical observations, Kolb studied the social life and customs of the Khoikhoi.
The second volume: The Present State of the Cape of Good Hope: Containing the Natural History of the Cape was published in the same year.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The Present State of the Cape of Good Hope: Or, A Particular Account of the several Nations of the Hottentots
- Kolben, Peter (Medley, Guido transl.)
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- First English edition
- Printed for W. Innys
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Khoikhoi, South Africa, Anthropology
- Bookseller catalogs
- Travel and Exploration; Africa;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...[more]
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...[more]