The present state of Peru; comprising its geography, topography, natural history, mineralogy, commerce, the customs and manners of its inhabitants, the state of literature, philosophy, and the arts, the modern travels of the missionaries in the heretofore unexplored mountainous territories &c &c: The whole drawn from original and authentic documents, chiefly written and compiled in the Peruvian Capital; and embellished by twenty engravings of costumes, &c.
by Skinner, Joseph
- See description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
First edition. Printed for Richard Phillips. London, 1805. 4to. xiv, 487, (1)pp. 1 map, 20 hand coloured plates. Later half calf, marbled boards, raised bands to spine, in six compartments with gilt motifs and lettering, title label with gilt lettering. Some variable foxing and offsetting. Small spot between lines on p 61. Signature "Westmorland" in pencil to ffep.
The beautiful hand coloured plates in slightly smaller format on heavier paper depict the costume of various segments of Peruvian society.
Abbey Travel 723. Sabin 81615. Colas 2751.
Note: The Earl of Westmorland (Fane family) of Wormsley Park.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The present state of Peru; comprising its geography, topography, natural history, mineralogy, commerce, the customs and manners of its inhabitants, the state of literature, philosophy, and the arts, the modern travels of the missionaries in the heretofore unexplored mountainous territories &c &c
- Skinner, Joseph
- Book condition
- Used - See description
- Quantity available
- First edition
- Printed for Richard Phillips
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Travel, South America, Anthropology, Peru, Hand Coloured Plates, Fine bindings
- Bookseller catalogs
- Travel and Exploration; Americas and Caribbean; Christmas gift ideas; Fine Bindings;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- A common abbreviation for Front Free EndPaper. Generally, it is the first page of a book and is part of a single sheet that...[more]
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created...[more]
- Marbled boards
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]