Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Profiles in Courage was written by John F. Kennedy when the iconic U.S. President was still a senator. The Pulitzer Prize-winning volume of short biographies tells of eight United States Senators who shown great courage under enormous pressure from their parties and their constituents. Among Kennedy’s featured senators were: John Quincy Adams, Daniel Webster, Thomas Hart Benton, Sam Houston, Edmund G. Ross, Lucius Lamar, George Norris, and Robert A. Taft. While these Senators suffered severe criticism and losses in popularity because of their actions, their stories are used to illustrate the principles and virtues that Kennedy believed were required of Americans in a century of progress. Profiles in Courage hit the bestsellers list three times: when JFK was an up-and-coming Senator in the late 1950s; after he was elected President in 1960-61; and following his assassination in 1963-64. The book led to the creation of the “Profiles in Courage” award, an annual award made to recognize displays of moral and political courage similar to those that Kennedy profiled.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Quintessential Rare Books, LLC (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Profiles in Courage
- Kennedy, John F
- Book condition
- Used - Fine
- Jacket condition
- Near Fine
- Quantity available
- 1st Edition
- Harper & Brothers, New York
- Date published
Terms of Sale
Quintessential Rare Books, LLC
All Books are American or British First Editions unless otherwise noted. Dustwrappers are present if stated. Returns may be made within 3 days of receipt if book is not described correctly. Reciprocal dealer courtesies extended.
A NOTE ABOUT CONDITION:
Our top condition is fine. Other dealers may use the words mint, untouched, very fine, etc. which mean the same thing. We try to refrain from using general terms like G, G+, G++, VG+, VG++, because we want to describe what the copy of the book really looks like. As a result, we almost never get any returns since the books are actually better looking than the way that they are described.
Books are shipped by the United States Postal Service via priority mail.
We accept out of state checks, paypal.com, money orders, cashiers check, and personal checks. No credit cards at this time, except through paypal.com. Dealers, institutions, and approved customers may receive deferred billing. California residents will be billed the appropriate sales tax.
We are always interested in purchasing individual or collections of fine books for resale. Trades and consignments will be considered. Please write or call to the above address.
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- When a book is described as being inscribed, it indicates that a short note written by the author or a previous owner has...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]