Proof plate, "The Opening of the Great Hive of the World May 1 1851 or the Industrial Exhibition of All Nations", illustration from "1851 or, The adventures of Mr. and Mrs. Sandboys and family: who came up to London to 'enjoy themselves,' and to see the Great Exhibition"
by Cruikshank, George
- Very good overall
Garrison, New York
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London: David Bogue, 1851. First edition. Print. Very good overall. A proof plate on india paper. This busy view shows the pavilion as a "beehive shape, with the throngs watching the King and Queen move towards the entrance. The title appears in a banner which extends across the top of the sky. The backing paper is a little foxed, mostly on the verso, and there is a small marginal crescent shaped mark on the right edge, just touching the india paper. India paper 44.5 x 21.5 on paper with a slightly larger platemark, and paper 48.5 x 26.5 cm. Douglas 254. (The Works of George Cruikshank: Classified and Arranged with References to Reid's Catalogue and Their Approximate Values (1903) by Richard Douglas.).
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Antipodean Books, Maps & Prints (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- Proof plate, "The Opening of the Great Hive of the World May 1 1851 or the Industrial Exhibition of All Nations", illustration from "1851 or, The adventures of Mr. and Mrs. Sandboys and family: who came up to London to 'enjoy themselves,' and to see the Great Exhibition"
- Cruikshank, George
- Book condition
- Used - Very good overall
- Quantity available
- First edition
- David Bogue
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
Antipodean Books, Maps & Prints
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 10 days after delivery if an item arrives mis-described or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since 2009
Garrison, New York
Ask Seller a Question
About Antipodean Books, Maps & Prints
Booksellers for over 40 years, members of prominent trade associations (ABAA, ILAB, ANZAAB, IMCOS, ANZMS, PBFA). We are located at Garrison NY, a stone's throw from the Metro North Hudson line train, just over 1 hr. from NYC on the banks of the Hudson River. Books, maps, prints & ephemera bought & sold.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [More]
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.
- Foxing is the age related browning, or brown-yellowish spots, that can occur to book paper over time. When this aging process... [More]
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,... [More]