Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Alfred A. Knopf. New York. 1923. FIRST EDITION. 1st printing. Octavo. (8.3 x 5.8 inches). Illustrated with 12 full page mono plates by the author. A bright and clean copy finely bound in recent full black morocco leather. Spine with five raised bands, the compartments ruled and lettered in gilt. Single gilt ruled border on boards. Marbled endpapers. A complete early dustwrapper has been bound in at the rear on five leaves (Spine, front and rear panels and inner flaps each onto one leaf). Overall a fine copy of the true first edition of Gibran's masterpiece, which has sold millions of copies worldwide. --- Only 2,000 copies of this First Edition were printed.
A prophet has is about to board a ship home after 12 years in exile, when he is stopped by a group of people. His teachings to them, discussing love, marriage, crime, freedom and law among many other aspects of everyday life, form the 26 poetic essays of Gibran's work. The work has been a bestseller since its first publication.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
The Prophet is a book that has been around for a long time, but it is still relevant today. The thoughts about marriage and children are so insightful and poetic. It is a pleasure to 'dip into' sections of this book, and gain some understanding of the human condition.
Terms of Sale
Paul Foster Books
All books fully guaranteed. Any book found not ot be as described may be returned for a full refund within seven days of receipt. Please notify before returning any books. All items remain the property of Paul Foster Books until paid for in full. Payment by instalment acceptable for high value items. Please ask. ----- Full Member of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association, I.L.A.B, and PBFA
About the Seller
About Paul Foster Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created...[more]
- The portion of a book cover or cover jacket that folds into the book from front to back. The flap can contain biographical...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...[more]
- Also known as book jacket, dust cover, or dust wrapper, a dust jacket is a protective and decorative cover for a book that is...[more]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...[more]
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet...[more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]