Pseudoxia Epidemica: Of Vnicornes Hornes
by Browne, Sir Thomas; Alan James Robinson
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Bibliophiles Club Membership
Standard delivery: 7 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
One of 15 copies from a total edition of 225 copies. This is No. xi. The book is bound in full white vellum, gilt title on the spine, signed and numbered by Robinson. Accompanied by a quarter vellum portfolio, with a unicorn horn in gilt on the spine; beige canvas cloth boards containing the proofs and drawings as follows: Complete suite of prints, signed and numbered; Frontispiece with three trial proofs and a final rendering, signed; 1 rejected print; signed; 28 work proofs, signed and labeled 'wp'; 2 original drawings, signed. Also included are two copies of the prospectus, one a single sheet, the other bound into wrappers with blue thread. Both copies are signed by the artist. Everything is housed in a finely crafted clamshell case, vellum spine, gilt title, canvas sides.
A fine, impressive set, and unusual in containing two original drawings.
Contains an introduction on Browne's life and work by Jan van Dorsten, Head of the Sir Thomas Browne Institute at Leiden, especially for this work, which is Chapter XXIII of Browne's 'Pseudoxia Epidemica', published in 1646.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Thorn Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Pseudoxia Epidemica: Of Vnicornes Hornes
- Browne, Sir Thomas; Alan James Robinson
- Illustrated with wood engravings by Alan James Robinson.
- Book Condition
- Used - Fine
- Quantity Available
- Limited edition
- Cheloniidae Press
- Place of Publication
- Williamsburg, MA
- Date Published
- Bookseller catalogs
- Rare Books;
Terms of Sale
All books returnable for any reason within seven days, providing only that they are received in the same condition as shipped. Shipments to an Arizona address must add appropriate sales tax. Libraries billed.
About the Seller
About Thorn Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- The paper covering on the outside of a paperback. Also see the entry for pictorial wraps, color illustrated coverings for...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- Vellum is a sheet of specialty prepared skin of lamb, calf, or goat kid used for binding a book or for printing and writing. ...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....