Recueil de Planches d'Exemples et de Formules de la Nouvelle Méthode de Musique inventée et développée par Henry Heugel: Very rare musical instruction book. No copies found
by Henry Heugel
- near fine
- Near Fine/none
Standard Delivery: 7 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Heugel, Henry. Recueil de Planches d'Exemples et de Formules de la Nouvelle Méthode de Musique inventée et développée par Henry Heugel. Brest: Chez l'Auteur; Paris: chez Aulagnier, 1832. Large 4to
8vo, original marbled boards, printed blue title & subscription leaves laid down on both covers.[ii], 1-24, [23-26] 25-36, [ 2 (subscription list, printed on verso only)] pp. Printed cover & title page. Spine is pershing and protected by plastic which is giving the unusual coloring during scanning of the book covers.
Author's signature authentication stamp on front cover & title page. Edges are rubbed; small snag on the title page, with no loss; some foxing; but a very remarkable survivor and an extremely rare book.
First and Only Edition. This Volume of 26 brief lessons and explanatory diagrams was produced to accompany the author's 'Nouvelle Méthode pour l'Enseignement de la Musique,' which was also issued in Brest & Paris in 1832. Heugel describes himself on the title page as a 'Marchand de Musique et d'Instruments.' The hiccup in the pagination is due to the insertion of a four page signature, printed on the interior pages only (and with one recto marked '25) with a large diagram of the transposition of keys. The book was offered for 5 francs to subscribers and 6 francs to non subscribers, and the lists on the rear cover and the final leaf of text provide the names and addresses of the subscription locations in Paris & Brest. OCLC locates but a single copy of the 'Nouvelle Methode...' and none of this work.
The item is housed at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, N.Y. but there are not a single copy of this companion volume listed anywhere. Making it an exceptionally rare music book.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Calix Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Recueil de Planches d'Exemples et de Formules de la Nouvelle Méthode de Musique inventée et développée par Henry Heugel
- Henry Heugel
- 4to Original binding- author signed on cover near fine
- Book condition
- Used - Near Fine
- Jacket condition
- Quantity available
- A fine example of the movement of Music Learning
- Brest: Chez l'Auteur
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Rare Music, Music Instruction, Music, Lessons in Music
- Bookseller catalogs
- Art and Poetry;
Terms of Sale
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About Calix Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Marbled boards
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- The page on the right side of a book, with the term Verso used to describe the page on the left side.
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet...[more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]