Reize rondom de waereld. Met kaarten en plaaten.
by Cook, James (with notes by George Forster, transl. by J.D. Pasteur). [14 Vols. complete. First Dutch edition]
- very good
- Very Good
Bibliophiles Club Membership
Standard delivery: 7 to 21 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Cook, James (with notes by George Forster, transl. by J.D. Pasteur). Reize rondom de waereld. Met kaarten en plaaten. Vertaald door J.D. Pasteur. Leyden, Amsterdam, The Hague, Honkoop, Allart en Van Cleef, 1799-1803. First Dutch edition. 14 Vols. complete, incl. the index vol. With an engraved portrait of the author, 13 engraved titles with title-vignettes, 52 folding maps, engraved by C. v. Baarsel, and 134 engravings, mostly folding by A. & I.S. Klauber. Contemporary half calf, sprinkled paper boards, red morocco title labels, green morocco volume labels.
A very fine & complete set of the first Dutch edition of the collected accounts of the three great voyages by James Cook (1728-1779), the famous British explorer, navigator, cartographer, and captain in the Royal Navy. In three voyages to the Pacific, Cook sailed across largely uncharted areas of the globe. He mapped lands from New Zealand to Hawaii in the Pacific Ocean in greater detail and on a scale not previously achieved. He made the first recorded European contact with the eastern coastline of Australia and the Hawaiian Islands, and the first recorded circumnavigation of New Zealand. Prior to his pacific voyages he made the first large-scale and accurate maps of the coasts of Newfoundland and Labrador. Cook was killed during his 3rd voyage on Hawai. His travels were enormous adventurous and he left a legacy of scientific and geographical knowledge that influenced his successors well into the 20th century.
The work is composed as follows: Volumes I-III 'Reize rondom de waereld beschreven door J. Hawkesworth', contain the life of Cook and the first voyage (1768-1771), Vols. IV-VII 'Reize naar de Zuid-Pool en rondom de waereld', the 2nd. voyage (1772-1775), and Vols. VIII-XIII 'Reize naar den Stillen Oceaan', the 3rd voyage (1776-1780). Vol. XIV is the index volume, compiled by W. Chevallerau. It contains also extensive footnotes by George Forster (1754-1794): "Aantekeningen getrokken uit het dagverhaal van G. Forster". - Very good clean set with crisp plates, seemingly never been read, one compartment old restored, a few spine ends slightly damaged, leather occ. slightly chafed, some minor faults, but - A very good and desirable set of this first Dutch edition.
Tiele 268; Cat. NHSM I, p. 140; Beddie 52
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Acanthus Antiquariaat (NL)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Reize rondom de waereld. Met kaarten en plaaten.
- Cook, James (with notes by George Forster, transl. by J.D. Pasteur). [14 Vols. complete. First Dutch edition]
- With an engraved portrait of the author, 13 engraved titles with title-vignettes, 52 folding maps, engraved by C. v. Baarsel, an
- Contemporary half calf, sprinkled paper boards, red morocco title labels, green morocco volume labels.
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Quantity Available
- First Dutch edition.
- Honkoop, Allart en Van Cleef
- Place of Publication
- Leyden, Amsterdam, The Hague
- Date Published
- James Cook, first Dutch edition, Australia, Hawaii, New Zealand, explorer, Hawkesworth, George Forster
Terms of Sale
About the Seller
About Acanthus Antiquariaat
We carry a stock of rare & antiquarian books and prints, including subjects like travelling, natural history, science, photography, avantgarde, illustrated books, fine bindings, optical toys, popular prints & broadsides, ephemera, objects of curiosity, and many more… in short, everything that we find interesting, beautiful, remarkable, or simply weird.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects, "new"...
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined by AB...
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat the...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- A term often used to indicate a book's new-like condition. Indicates that the hinges are not loosened. A book described as crisp...