A Relation of the Missions of Paraguay. Wrote originally in Italian, by Mr. Muratori, and now done into English from the French translation
by Muratori, [Lodovico Antonio]
- See description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
First English edition. Printed for J. Marmaduke in Long-Acre. London. 1759. Small 8vo. xvi, 294, pp. Contemporary full calf, spine in six compartments with recent leather label. Head of spine worn. Joints cracked, exhibiting wear. Text toned, some browning to edges,with a little spotting, but generally crisp and clean. Some copies of the first English edition include the map from the French edition, some do not, and this copy still in an early binding shows no evidence of ever having included the map.
Armorial bookplate of Lady Dowager Arundell to fep., inscribed below "The Honble. Julia Arundell. (With evidence at the edges that someone has attempted to remove the bookplate prior to her grand-daughter's inscription pre-1815). Talbot armorial bookplate to rear ep, inscribed below, "J Reginald F G Talbot from his afft. Mother Julia Talbot March 25th 1839.
From the library of Dowager Lady Arundell of Wardour, Mary Christina Conquest (c1743-1813) to possession of her grand-daughter, Julia Arundell Talbot (1791-1843), daughter of James Everard, Lord Arundell of Wardour (1763-1817) and Mary-Christina Arundell (-1805), to possession of her son John Reginald Talbot (1826-1906)
A most important work on Paraguay, "composed in great part from documents written by various Jesuit missionaries and travellers, furnished to Muratori by Father Gaetan Cattanio (1696-1733), a missionary of the brotherhood of Jesus, in Paraguay. His letters, published as an appendix to this work, are exceedingly interesting in affording descriptions of the Indians of Paraguay at this early day. The historian is said also to have derived no small portion of his work from the communications of Santo Bueno, Viceroy of Peru." Field, Thomas. An essay towards an Indian bibliography. 1107.
Palau 185922. Sabin 51422. Field 1107.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- A Relation of the Missions of Paraguay. Wrote originally in Italian, by Mr. Muratori, and now done into English from the French translation
- Muratori, [Lodovico Antonio]
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Printed for J. Marmaduke
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- South America, Jesuit
- Bookseller catalogs
- Travel and Exploration; Provenance, Bookplates and Associations; Americas and Caribbean; Christmas gift ideas; Fine Bindings;
- Small 8vo
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- When a book is described as being inscribed, it indicates that a short note written by the author or a previous owner has...[more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]
- A term often used to indicate a book's new-like condition. Indicates that the hinges are not loosened. A book described as crisp...[more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- In reference to a hinge or a book's binding, means that the glue which holds the opposing leaves has allowed them to separate,...[more]
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]