Sarawak; its inhabitants and productions: being notes during a residence in that country with His Excellency Mr Brooke
by Low, Hugh
- See description and photos
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
First edition. First issue. Richard Bentley, Publisher in Ordinary to Her Majesty. London. 1848. Crown 8vo. xxiv, 416pp, 6pp manuscript index bound in. Engraved frontis., 6 further plates. Later rebacking using original red cloth embossed boards, bumped with shelf wear to extremities. Some foxing to plates, occasional spotting to text. Marginal tear 170. Last page chipped to upper corner. Occasional marginal pencil annotation, in the same hand as index.
Inscribed to title page "To Edw. Thomas" [indecipherable: Glansevern? Glansevin?]
Low, Sir Hugh (1824–1905), botanist and colonial administrator. "Low became closely associated with James Brooke, who was then establishing his regime in Sarawak. Low also travelled widely in north Borneo and acquired exceptional knowledge of the land and people, which he demonstrated in his book Sarawak: its Inhabitants and Productions." Low developed a twelve-acre garden with a choice selection of plants. He made the first documented climb of Mount Kinabalu, the highest in Borneo, and repeated the climb three times, partly to collect specimens. ODNB
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Sarawak; its inhabitants and productions: being notes during a residence in that country with His Excellency Mr Brooke
- Low, Hugh
- Book condition
- Used - See description and photos
- Quantity available
- Richard Bentley
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Borneo, Travel, Malaysia, Singapore, Plant hunting
- Bookseller catalogs
- Travel and Exploration; Natural HIstory; The Middle East, India and Asia;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost.
Regrettably, European customers may find that there may be delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos. We regret that we cannot be responsible for taxes or duties imposed in the customer's country.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- shelf wear
- Shelf wear (shelfwear) describes damage caused over time to a book by placing and removing a book from a shelf. This damage is...[more]