Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Condition of the book is Good. Condition issues are as noted below. Also, please carefully review the listing photos.
1) The board cloth shows significant wear. The color of the cloth has faded. The cloth has split where the board panels join with the spine. Four small stains from old tape repairs are visible at the corners of both the front and back boards.
2) Portions of the board cloth are missing on the spine. The top edge of the spine cloth is gone. There also is a long thin piece of cloth missing on the spine's lower right edge. This fragment of cloth has been retained (see last photo), and could be used if the spine cloth is to be repaired.
3) The front endpapers contain the prior owner's bookplate and signature. The owner was Basil Thomas Woodd, an attorney and Member of Parliament.
4) All of Cruikshank's illustrations are present. The plates were printed on different paper stock than the text portions of the book. The plate edges show browning. The actual illustrations, centered on each page, are not affected by the browning.
5) The preliminary leaves, including the two frontis illustrations, show moderate foxing. Interior pages are relatively free of foxing.
In sum, the book has significant condition issues, as might be expected for a 180 year old book that has been preserved as originally published.
Please message me with any questions.
Sketches by Boz collected a rich and strange mixture of reportage, observation, fancy and fiction centred on the metropolis. It was Dickens's first book, published when he was twenty-four, and in it we find him walking the London streets, in theatres, pawnshops, law-courts, prisons, along the Thames, and on the omnibus, missing nothing, recording and transforming urban and suburban life into new terrain for literature. Sketches is a remarkable achievement, and looks towards Dickens's giant novels in its profusion of characters, its glimpses of surreal modernity and its limitless fund of pathos and comic invention.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
Terms of Sale
All sales are subject to availability of item at time of order. You may email me to confirm item availability.
Returns accepted for 30 days following your receiving the item. Full refunds issued, including shipping, if the item is not as described in the listing. Please contact me before initiating a return.
For orders exceeding standard weight, supplemental shipping costs may be required.
About the Seller
About Harpo Speaks
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...[more]
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet...[more]