Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London, Charles Hullmandel for Hodgson and Graves, no date, (1839).. FIRST EDITION (1839), folio, approximately 560 x 380 mm, 22 x 15 inches, 26 tinted plates (single tint) including lithographed title page, all with paper guards, printed by Hullmandel after Prout, no text (as published) except for 4 pages of adverts at end, original publisher's quarter brown morocco spine, dark blue moire linen boards, gilt title to spine and upper cover, gilt vertical dividing rule between boards and spine, yellow endpapers. Rubbing to spine, slight wear to head and tail of spine, corners slightly worn with boards just showing at tips, pale stain to top margins of all plates just touching the top corner of 3 plates and title, hardly affecting the image, lithograph dedication page with list of plates on verso, some foxing to margins of a few plates, first free endpaper has small closed tear repaired with archival tape, gutters beginning to split, plates still holding but could work loose, otherwise a good copy. See J. R. Abbey, Travel in Aquatint and Lithography, Volume 1, page 41, No. 34 for an identical copy. The plates are of: Porte of St Martins Tour; Chartres; Strasbourg; La Halle au Ble Tours; St Symphorien, Tours; Amboise; Geneva; Lausanne; Sion; Milan; Mausolee de Mastin II famille de L'Escaile; Bridge of Sighs, Venice; St Mark's Venice; Temple of Pallas, Rome; Lyon; Geneva; Domo d'Ossola; Piazzeta Venice; S. M. della Salute, Venice; Ducal Palace, Venice; Venice, The Rialto; Como; Milan; Basle; the Forum, Rome; Schaffhausen. MORE IMAGES ATTACHED TO THIS LISTING, ALL ZOOMABLE. FURTHER IMAGES ON REQUEST. POSTAGE AT COST.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Roger Middleton (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- SKETCHES IN FRANCE, SWITZERLAND and ITALY.
- PROUT, Samuel.:
- Original publisher's binding
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Place of Publication
- London, Charles Hullmandel for Hodgson and Graves, no date, (1839).
- Date published
- FRANCE SWITZERLAND ITALY VENICE VIEW BOOKS PLATE BOOKS TRAVEL BOOKS LITHOGRAPHS HULLMANDEL EUROPE VIEWS
Terms of Sale
We have been established booksellers for 42 years. We are a postal business only (strictly no callers). We are long-standing members of the P.B.F.A. the largest trade association for antiquarian booksellers in the UK. We wrap all our parcels in new materials and all our books are insured at our expense. Books may be returned if wrongly described, all costs will be met by us. ****PLEASE NOTE: POSTAGE WILL BE CHARGED AT COST, MEANING THAT POSTAGE WILL BE REDUCED ON PARCELS WEIGHING UNDER 1 KILO, AND IT WILL BE INCREASED ON MOST PARCELS WEIGHING MORE THAN 1 KILO****
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since: 2010
Ask Seller a Question
About Roger Middleton
We are a postal business only, selling rare and antiquarian books on interesting subjects.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.
- The heel of the spine.
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- A folio usually indicates a large book size of 15" in height or larger when used in the context of a book description....[more]