Spain and the West Country
by Fraser, J. Alban; Maeztu, Ramiro de (introduction)
- See description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Juan Alban Fraser, Chevalier of the Portuguese Order of Christ, for many years the Vice Consul for Spain at Bristol. In this volume he traces the connections between Bristol and the West Country of England with Spain up to c. 1700.
In the introduction written in Madrid, March 1935, Ramiro de Maeztu writes, "The days of England's self-glorification, when a Buckle could dedicate his life to explaining why British Civilization was so superior to that of other nations, have passed away ...in these days of universal crises we see the world reverting to nationalism"
Ramiro de Maeztu (1875-1936) A year after he wrote this he was executed in the early days of the Spanish Civil War. His last words were: "You do not know why you kill me, but I know why I'm dying: for your children to be better than you!"
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Spain and the West Country
- Fraser, J. Alban; Maeztu, Ramiro de (introduction)
- Book Condition
- Quantity Available
- Burns Oates & Washbourne
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- 0.00 lbs
- Ramiro de Maeztu, Spanish Civil War, Bristol,
- Bookseller catalogs
- Travel and Exploration; Military History; British Local History; Spain and Portugal; Transport: trains, boats and planes;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged, when reported promptly upon receipt. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature may be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost.
Regrettably, customers may find that there may be delays in delivery due to the current situation. We regret that we cannot be responsible for taxes or duties imposed in the customer's country.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- Damage done to a book cover or dust jacket caused by exposure to direct sunlight. Very strong fluorescent light can cause slight...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- A term often used to indicate a book's new-like condition. Indicates that the hinges are not loosened. A book described as crisp...
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...