Le Spectacle de la Nature: Ou Entretiens sur les particularites de l'Histoire Naturelle qui ont paru les plus propres a rendre les Jeunes Gens curieux, et a leur former l'esprit.
by Noel-Antoine Pluche
- very good
- Very Good/None
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
With 61 fine copperplates by Jacques de Seve, including 2 frontispieces, 4 folding celestial maps (illustrator). Plates engraved by Duhamel, Letellier, Racine and Bigani.
Vol. 1: 359pp, frontispiece, 5 plates of insects and shells; Vol. 2: 300pp, 5 plates of birds, animals, fish and plants; Vol. 3: 353pp, 7 plates of botany; Vol. 4: 336pp, 10 plates of botany and equipment; Vol 5, 347pp, 21 plates of fish, ships and shells; Vol. 6, 344pp, 3 plates of gems and astrology; Vol.7, 364pp, 8 plates (4 folding) of astrology; Vol. 8, 231pp, frontispiece.
With half titles, tables of contents and list of illustrations in each volume. Elaborate gilt decorated spines with red title labels and volume numbers. Some scuffing to boards, but interior fresh and all plates present and free of foxing. Rare to find complete sets of this small portable edition.Text in French.
Noel-Antoine Pluche, known as Abbe Pluche, was a French priest and author (1688-1761). His Spectacle popularized science in a conversational style for a young readership and was translated into many languages.
Jacques de Seve was a French artist who provided the quadruped plates for Count Buffon's Histoire Naturelle, 1749, as well as many plates for Panckoucke's Encyclopedie Methodique, 1782, etc.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Florilegius (JP)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Le Spectacle de la Nature
- Noel-Antoine Pluche
- Jacques de Seve
- Full leather, gilt decoration, marble endpapers
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Jacket Condition
- Quantity Available
- Chez le Clere
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- 12mo, 13 x 8.5cm
- illustrated, science, natural history, Pluche,
- Bookseller catalogs
- Natural History;
Terms of Sale
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A duodecimo is a book approximately 7 by 4.5 inches in size, or similar in size to a contemporary mass market paperback. Also...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...