Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
[DR. EDITH IGLAUER DALY]. FRANCES WALKER (EDITOR). SPECULARIA 1934. Hathaway Brown School, Cleveland, Ohio, 1934. First Edition. Book Condition: Near Fine / Very Good +. Appears gently read, with one-quarter brown cloth over paper boards, light rubbing to corner tips, boards are very clean, mild scattered foxing to a few pages, page edges throughout, overall pages and are very clean, bright and binding tight. Previous owner inscription in erasable pencil on title page. Signed by editor in chief Frances Walker of this rare 1934 Hathaway Brown School for Girls senior alumni album book on the first pastedown. Additional signed and inscribed by numerous fellow senior classmates, faculty staff on both first and rear endpapers of then senior student Edith Iglauer. Earliest known published work that contains several poems and one short story by Canadian journalist and writer Edith Iglauer. Under the senior synopsis pages in the "prophecy" section, she is the only one named destined to be "Writer of Repute" of her class. English teacher Mary E. Raymond is credited among the many school faculty in the book, she inspired Iglauer to write and told her "Edith, never stop writing". Edith Iglauer was a American (later Canadian) journalist, author, activist and her non-fiction work included; The New People: The Eskimo's Journey Into Our Time, Denison's Ice Road, Seven Stories, Fishing with John, The Strangers Next Door, her work was published in several magazines including Harper's and the New Yorker. Iglauer was one of the few female war correspondents of WWII. As of this writing this is the only known copy of Edith Iglauer's earliest published work from the Hathaway Brown School on the market. Illustrated throughout and with B&W photo portraits of the senior alumni students including Edith Iglauer. Scarce early poetry and fiction from a major Canadian non-fiction author, highly collectible. 155 pgs. 4to.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Astro Trader Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- SPECULARIA 1934
- Hathaway Brown School ( Edith Iglauer )
- Jean Chisholm
- Book condition
- Used - Very Good+
- Quantity available
- First Edition
- Hathaway Brown School
- Place of Publication
- Cleveland, Ohio
- Date published
- High School Album, Edith Iglauer
- Bookseller catalogs
- Poetry; Reference; Fiction; Non-Fiction;
Terms of Sale
Astro Trader Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since: 2020
Los Angeles , California
Ask Seller a Question
About Astro Trader Books
Astro Trader Books was founded in 2010 selling camera manuals, then branched into antiquarian, modern firsts, science fiction, fantasy, horror genres and pulp fiction.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]
- When a book is described as being inscribed, it indicates that a short note written by the author or a previous owner has...[more]